Mercury power head in jet boat, started, died, won't run

767pilot

Recruit
The power head on my jet boat is a 230hp EFI Mercury. I took the winter cover off today to get things going, and the boat started right up and ran for about 5 minutes, maybe 10, while hooked up to a hose. Then, it just died. It will restart but idle very slowly and then die in about 5 seconds. There is fuel in the tank, and I hear the fuel pump ticking away as it comes up to pressure, I'm thinking fuel filter. Anyone familiar with this or have any other suggestions? I'm having a hard time googling the project, if anyone has a link that would be great

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: Mercury power head in jet boat, started, died, won't run

The power head on my jet boat is a 230hp EFI Mercury. I took the winter cover off today to get things going, and the boat started right up and ran for about 5 minutes, maybe 10, while hooked up to a hose. Then, it just died. It will restart but idle very slowly and then die in about 5 seconds. There is fuel in the tank, and I hear the fuel pump ticking away as it comes up to pressure, I'm thinking fuel filter. Anyone familiar with this or have any other suggestions? I'm having a hard time googling the project, if anyone has a link that would be great

Could be the VST has a bunch of gunk at the bottom of it. Clean it out and change the fuel filter. If that doesn't help then you can take it to any Merc Shop even though it's a Bombardier boat.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

From what your describing you have the 210hp carb engine and it has the small automotive style 6 psi fuel pump that has a rapid flutter sound with key on. The EFI style will run about 15 seconds and shut off with key on. Check the fuel for water, filter in end of pump if the 210 style and check spark.
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...ng&inbr=5127&bnbr=70&bdesc=Fuel+Pump+Assembly

sschefer

Rear Admiral

From what your describing you have the 210hp carb engine and it has the small automotive style 6 psi fuel pump that has a rapid flutter sound with key on. The EFI style will run about 15 seconds and shut off with key on. Check the fuel for water, filter in end of pump if the 210 style and check spark.
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...ng&inbr=5127&bnbr=70&bdesc=Fuel+Pump+Assembly

You think it's a Mercruiser? I was thinking SeaDo with the 250 Jet motor.

767pilot

Recruit

No, it's the mercury 230 v6 with EFI, not carbs. The fuel pump runs as you describe, about 15-30 seconds after the key is turned on. I've been ruling out spark because it ran good for a while. I was thinking water and added some dry gas type stuff tonight

"Could be the VST has a bunch of gunk at the bottom of it"

What is the VST?
Anyone know a link to a diagram of the fuels system? Is there only one filter? I think I have found one inline filter where the hose meets the engine. I'm trying to keep it out of the shop if I can, only for the time factor.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

I've been ruling out spark because it ran good for a while.

That doesnt mean that a electrical part hasnt failed, get a spark tester and check spark.
What is the VST?

The VST(vapor seperator tank) is where the electric fuel pump is and should have a drain on it to see if : (A) water in fuel (B) getting fuel (C) varnish/stale fuel. You can check for water by removing water seperator filter and dumping it into a clear container and water will go to bottom.Also look for red led on bottom corner of ECM as filter has a sensor in it and will light if water present.
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...7596&bnbr=90&bdesc=Vapor+Separator+Components
You think it's a Mercruiser? I was thinking SeaDo with the 250 Jet motor.
The carb engines use the small square electric pump (above link)

767pilot

Recruit

That doesnt mean that a electrical part hasnt failed, get a spark tester and check spark.

The VST(vapor seperator tank) is where the electric fuel pump is and should have a drain on it...)

First a correctio. I took a look in the light of day and it is a 240hp efi v6. Didn't exactly get a spark tester, but the old screw driver to the ignition wire test showed a spark.

This is a much simpler installation with no VST. I took the line off of the fuel pump though and let the fuel run back from the inline filter to a container. It all seemed clean.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

All EFI engines have a VST as this is where high pressure pump,pressure regulator, bleed system get and return fuel to.

767pilot

Recruit

All EFI engines have a VST as this is where high pressure pump,pressure regulator, bleed system get and return fuel to.

You are right, I was thinking of the spin on type water seperator. At any rate, I've turned the thing over to a profesional. he's suggesting injector damage from bad fuel:mad: