'06 115Hp Mercury EFI 4-Stoke - Water pump & Spark Plugs

TheChad

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey all,

I have a 2006 Mercury 115Hp EFI 4-Stroke. It has run GREAT since I bought it, I've never had any problems with it!

The other day when I was at the lake, I beached the boat on a sand bar while we were camping. To make a long story short, I think the water pump possibly sucked up some sand/dirt...

When I went to put the boat back on the trailer, I noticed the engine wasn't discharging water from the tell tale.

When I got home I took the "T" apart behind the tell tale and sprayed 100 PSI air threw all 3 tubes, the tube going out the tell tale discharge was clear, the tube going down to the water pump was clear (I heard air come out), the line that goes to the vertical "Fuel/Water" bar (Fuel Cooler?) on the left side of the engine block, then on around to the engine itself must be clogged because when I put air to it, I couln't hear any air coming out anywhere and the tube blew off the air gun..

But what really gets me is that even if that was clogged, I should see water coming out the tell tale because of that "T". If the rest of the system was clogged, the water would atleast come from the water pump and go straight out the tell tale..

Once the water goes into the engine, I couln't figure out where it came out??

This concerns me that I might need a new water pump. I changed the water pump on an Old '79 Mercury 40HP 2-stroke, it wasn't too hard, but trying it on this 115Hp kind of scares me. Can anyone tell me how difficult it is to do?

Looks like from the service manual just 4-screws on the lower unit and it should drop out? Does the drive shaft come out with it like it did on the '79 2-stoke?

On another note, It's 4 years old now and while I don't have any problems, I thought I should probably change the spark plugs, I know they are NGK LFR6A's. Should i stick with the NGK's or is there a better plug out there I should use instead?

Thanks for the help!

-TheChad

raymor

Seaman
Re: '06 115Hp Mercury EFI 4-Stoke - Water pump & Spark Plugs

I believe there are five bolts holding the LU on. No. 5 is near the trim tab.

TheChad

Petty Officer 1st Class

I believe there are five bolts holding the LU on. No. 5 is near the trim tab.

10-4. You are correct..

As for blowing air threw the water lines, is there a thermostat going to the engine block that would stop flow? If so, i'm not so worried, if not, then there must be something clogged, and I have to be able to get it unclogged..

Thanks,

-TheChad

raymor

Seaman

I have an 05 version of your motor and had the same thing happen one day coming into the dock at a real low tide and hit some mud. Nothing coming out the pee hole. Hooked a hose up to the back of the engine and reversed flushed it. It took a little while but it did finally clear the clog in the system. I believe there is a thermostate in this motor, but there is a bypass for the pee hole.