1979 Mercury side mount control how to operate

racerbob

Recruit
i have just bought a small boat with an 85hp 1979 Mercury. It has a side mount control. I haven't owned an outboard since the 70's and always had Evinrudes. All I need to know is how to use the control. Thanks for your help.

emckelvy

Commander
Re: 1979 Mercury side mount control how to operate

Bob, there are various different styles and a pic or description of the box would help narrow it down.

In general, you've got a relatively 'square' box with a single-lever control for all shifting/throttle action. This type of box has a lever at the back for fast idle, raise it up for starting and lower before putting in gear, just like your typical OMC box. This box will have a rubber-covered pushbutton for choke, which is engaged only when you push the button.

Newer style boxes have a shift interlock in the end of the handle where you rest your hand; you have to push or pull on it with your fingers as you're shifting into gear.

This type of box may have a button at the pivot point of the handle; if so, for fast idle push inwards on the button and move the control lever fwd for throttle only. Once you pull back to Neutral the button will pop back out and you'll be able to shift into gear. This control box will probably have the choke in the key switch, push-to-choke, which is engaged as long as you hold the key in.

Other styles of box may not have a fast-idle button to push or any other obvious means of fast idle. On this box you'd pull the control lever towards you to get into fast-idle mode. With the lever pulled out you'll get only throttle action. Return to the Neutral position and push the lever inwards to re-engage shifting action.

Well, this should just about cover the most commonly-used types, one of the above should 'click'. Let us know if you have any other questions.

HTH............ed

Bobb050

Recruit

Attached is the controller on my recently acquired boat. I do not know if this is the same as what Racerbob has but a simple explanation of mine would be helpful to me and possibly to him as well.

Thanks and this seems to be a great place to learn.!

Bob

Attachments

• control.jpg
    control.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 3

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

The neutral button allows you to use the throttle without being in gear.

The trim and trailering switch raises, or lowers, the outdrive. Do not use the trailering height when in the water, and the engine is running.

s32cs9.jpg