30 HP Japanese Mariner Carb Help

bassfan2326

Recruit
Hey there, new to the forum so forgive me if this is in the wrong place.

I have an older 30hp Japanese Mariner outboard that I need some help with. I have yet to find a good diagram of the carb so I am trying by trail and error some tweaks to get it to run. I know where the idel screw is but not sure about the air/fuel mixture screw is or if any high/low speed jets are. The smoke is quite white/blue-ish in color and it smokes quite a bit. I know 2-cycles do smoke some but I was wondering if this amount was being caused by a lean running condition. Also, the last time it ran decent, you had to "baby" it once you put it in forward or it would not take the gas and bog down; however, if eased through, it would go just fine. Now, it does not crank and idel at all. Any tips/help with this carb would be great and I send my thanks in advance.

jayleaf

Recruit
30 hp mariner is getting to much gas in carberator flooding it out and will only run slow.

enginepower

Petty Officer 1st Class
Make sure you have good compression to eliminate possible internal engine issues. Does that have an oil pump or are you mixing your own fuel possibly at the wrong ratio? If it is flooding, the carb needle probably isn't sealing off and overflowing the fuel. Do not worry about smoke. When the fuel dries out in carb, oil remains. Next time you use it, now it's extra rich in oil which is healthy for an engine on cold start to help protect wearing. If it's still smoking excessive after running a little bit, oil pump giving too much oil, you're not using a proper mix or carb too rich. May be possible also that too low of compression, you might see more than normal smoke.