Mercury idling problem and choke help

dcraton

Cadet
Hello: I have a 1991 115hp Mercury I bought last spring and have had problems with the idle speed. It is too low and the engine dies when in "neutral". I have cleaned the carbs, replaced fuel lines, several tanks of gas with the usual additives. Boat runs great otherwise. I called the Merc dealer I do business with and he suggested I adjust the idling and choke.

Question and I feel dumb here having owned nothing but Evinrudes for well, a long time. So, I am a one year old Merc owner.

Where is the choke located? Secondly, is adjusting the idling speed difficult as I am used to the Evinrude push-pull choke and idling arm?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have searched and have not been able to find an answer.

One last thing, I do have a serious back problem, so crawling around under the console can be difficult. But, where would the fuse panel might be? I love the boat, seems to catch a lot of fish.

Thanks much,

Newbie :confused:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Mercury idling problem and choke help

Hello: I have a 1991 115hp Mercury I bought last spring and have had problems with the idle speed. It is too low and the engine dies when in "neutral". I have cleaned the carbs, replaced fuel lines, several tanks of gas with the usual additives. Boat runs great otherwise. I called the Merc dealer I do business with and he suggested I adjust the idling and choke.

Find another Merc dealer!!! There is no adjustment on the choke. And it's not a choke, it's an enricher.

dcraton said:
Question and I feel dumb here having owned nothing but Evinrudes for well, a long time. So, I am a one year old Merc owner.

Glad to hear you've left the dark side. :D:D

dcraton said:
Where is the choke located? Secondly, is adjusting the idling speed difficult as I am used to the Evinrude push-pull choke and idling arm?

The best I can do for you is to direct you to the service manual download. All the answers to all the questions you're asking are in there, with pictures.. :D:D DOWNLOAD the service manual... File password is <<ribforum>>

dcraton said:
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have searched and have not been able to find an answer.

One last thing, I do have a serious back problem, so crawling around under the console can be difficult.

All the things you need to work on are under the engine cowl, including the engine fuses. So, no problem there.

dcraton said:
But, where would the fuse panel might be? I love the boat, seems to catch a lot of fish.

Fuses for the boat? No idea... I love catching fish too... :D

Chris..........

dcraton

Cadet

aChris, THANKS! Seriously, thanks and I do love the merc. I live in an area where there are only two Merc dealers. The one I have been dealing with the last year is pretty good. I must have gotten "Goober" on the phone.

Will do as follows and thanks for the download info. I do have a Seloc manual, but it is not very specific. Maybe I need the dark side cast out of me.

I browse this forum often and appreciate the great info posted.

Thanks and happy fishing. ;)

dcraton

Cadet

Update. The download info was spot on. Simple fix for the idling problem: air vent on gas tank a bit clogged.

Thanks much!

David

achris

Well, there you go... :D:D:D

I love happy endings....

gman1001

Cadet

Find another Merc dealer!!! There is no adjustment on the choke. And it's not a choke, it's an enricher.

Glad to hear you've left the dark side. :D:D

The best I can do for you is to direct you to the service manual download. All the answers to all the questions you're asking are in there, with pictures.. :D:D DOWNLOAD the service manual... File password is <<ribforum>>

All the things you need to work on are under the engine cowl, including the engine fuses. So, no problem there.

Fuses for the boat? No idea... I love catching fish too... :D

Chris..........

Chris, this manual is great! I have a 1988 Straight 6 Merc 115. Do you have an electronic manual for that motor too?

achris

Chris, this manual is great! I have a 1988 Straight 6 Merc 115. Do you have an electronic manual for that motor too?

Unfortunately there are no electronic manuals before about 1989.

Best I can suggest is eBay....

Chris.........

gman1001

Cadet

Unfortunately there are no electronic manuals before about 1989.

Best I can suggest is eBay....

Chris.........

Ahhh ok... too bad. I bought the official Merc manual and I'm not too happy with its level of detail. I thought you had the hidden source!

achris

Ahhh ok... too bad. I bought the official Merc manual and I'm not too happy with its level of detail. I thought you had the hidden source!

The manual you looked at for the 4 cylinder 115 is also an 'official' Merc manual and they are the best you'll get. I have the manual for your engine and find it invaluable and detailed enough to do any work I need to... I'm surprised you're not happy with it... What exactly are you looking for?

Chris.....