Testing Alternator

RattooManiac

Recruit
How do you test your altinator? I had a dead battery today and the battery needed replacement. However, I am also worried that the altinator may be bad (just parinoid) and wanted to test it before going out again? I have an outboard: 2004 Mercury XR6 150.

koko1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Testing Alternator

Any auto parts store should be able to test it for you free of charge.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

The alternator can be tested by putting a multimeter on the battery. Check it with the engine running at about 1000rpm... Should be around 14.5 volts on a fully charged battery.

Auto shops can't check it... Probably wouldn't know where to start... :D:D:D

Chris.......

koko1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The alternator can be tested by putting a multimeter on the battery. Check it with the engine running at about 1000rpm... Should be around 14.5 volts on a fully charged battery.

Auto shops can't check it... Probably wouldn't know where to start... :D:D:D

Chris.......

Guess it depends on where one lives... Around here they check everything from batteries to alternators to starters

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Guess it depends on where one lives... Around here they check everything from batteries to alternators to starters

The outboard alternator is so unlike a car alternator that the average auto shop wouldn't even know where to start looking for it.

It consists of the stator windings under the flywheel, the flywheel and the rectifier.... Not the sort of things you can just unbolt and take in...

Chris........

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If the console of your boat has a gauge with VOLTS on the face, start the engine, rev to 1500 rpm and look at the gauge. You have a 12 volt battery so if the meter reads anything more than 12.6 (typically 13 to 14.5 volts) the alternator is working; Because the alternator is working, that does not mean you have a battery capable of accepting or holding a charge. Any auto store can load test it for you. If your boat doesn't have a voltmeter, a 10 buck hand held multi-tester (volt/ohm meter) will work. Just set it to read 12 volts (20 volt scale) and connect it to the battery.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Any auto parts store should be able to test it for you free of charge.

Probably true, except most in the US don't have facilities for starting and running outboard engines in their parking lots. They'd only be able to do the simple output tests that you can do yourself. Trouble shooting and replacement would need to be done at a Marine facility.

Now if it was an Opti-Max with a mini-automotive alternator then yes, you could take it off and most any automotive stores should be able to test it. Most of those were made by Delco but I think Nipondenso makes them now.