Replacing steering cables on Mercury XR2 Black Max 150 (56k beware)

yaajer

Cadet
So, long story short. I bought this boat, it's in very good condition with the exception of the steering. It's ROCK hard! Steering is not froze or anything, it turns but it takes an awful lot of strength to turn the out board. I've tried greasing the cables where it meets the outboard, but still doesn't help much.

At this point, I don't know what else to do except replace this older unit/cables with some teleflex cables. Here's my dilemma, I'm not a mechanic nor have ever done this and have no idea where to begin. There doesn't seem to be much on the Internet, so I would like to almost start a reference guide for myself and other folks. I've snapped a lot of photo, so please help.

First, I think this boat is a rack and pinion type right?
DSCF6375.jpg

DSCF6376.jpg

DSCF6377.jpg

Ok, now the hard part, can someone please tell me how to safely remove the steering cables from the outboard and from under the console?

Here's some photos. If you could draw on the photo, that would be awesome!

DSCF6365.jpg

DSCF6366.jpg

DSCF6367.jpg

Continued next post...

yaajer

Cadet
Re: Replacing steering cables on Mercury XR2 Black Max 150 (56k beware)

More Photos

DSCF6368.jpg

DSCF6372.jpg

DSCF6379.jpg

DSCF6386.jpg

DSCF6387.jpg

DSCF6377.jpg

yaajer

Cadet

And lastly, what is this rubber like piece stuck in the middle?
DSCF6395.jpg

I would like to replace it with the this? http://shop.speedwake.com/product_info.php/products_id/13699 It's the teleflex pro rack NFB SS15212. Is this the right product guys?

I'll post and take more photos as I continue this project for guys to reference later. A BIG thanks for all your help.

j_martin

Admiral

That's a teleflex dual rack system. The cables are no longer available. Replace system would be a teleflex NFB dual rack. Dual rack is the minimum steering for that engine on anything but a barge. Single cable steering is not tight enough and may cause control problems, like chine walk.

Some things to know.
1. Those cables are lubricated with a light oil. Any grease forced into them will gum them up.
2. Teleflex' fix is to replace them.
3. Most of the old setups had a grease fitting on the front tube whose function is to wreck the cable.

BUMMER

It is possible to clean and relubricate the cables. There's a whole thread on it here:
http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188864

The cables have to be withdrawn straight out of the tilt tube and front steering cable tube. If there's not enough room before the first bend (usually) you have to unbolt the engine and let is swing away to withdraw them. Hang the engine from a lifting eye screwed into the flywheel. (special tool, don't do it any other way)

The helm end (rack) is held onto the pinion tube by 4 bolts. (1/4 inch, I think). Remove the bolts and lift the cable off the tube.

Either the re-lubed cables, or new cables are installed in clean tubes with just a light hand applied coat of marine grease (Mercury 2-4-C) on the rod.
Do not grease them with pressure at any time.

hope it helps
john

yaajer

Cadet

Hi John, thanks for the super response. So you are saying the steering type for my current boat is already a teleflex system?

So, first question is, I'd like to remove the cable and test the outboard to see if it moves freely with out the cables attached, this is correct?

Second question is, can you describe this process "The cables have to be withdrawn straight out of the tilt tube and front steering cable tube?" And also "The helm end (rack) is held onto the pinion tube by 4 bolts. (1/4 inch, I think). Remove the bolts and lift the cable off the tube." The helm end is up by the steering wheel console?

And lastly, if I want to replace this system to the NFB type, is this here the correct system to order? http://shop.speedwake.com/product_info.php/products_id/13699

Thanks again!

yaajer

Cadet

Ok, i found a good pic from another thread. Which side of the steering cable at the outboard end needs to come off first. The part connecting the end of the cable to the link arm? Or should the large nut connecting to the support tube be loosen first?

attachment.php

j_martin

Admiral

Hi John, thanks for the super response. So you are saying the steering type for my current boat is already a teleflex system?
It looks like a teleflex dual rack system. There should be teleflex part numbers near the engine on the cables.

So, first question is, I'd like to remove the cable and test the outboard to see if it moves freely with out the cables attached, this is correct?

Just unbolt the steering link from the connector bar to the engine. The engine should flop side to side freely.

Second question is, can you describe this process "The cables have to be withdrawn straight out of the tilt tube and front steering cable tube?" And also "The helm end (rack) is held onto the pinion tube by 4 bolts. (1/4 inch, I think). Remove the bolts and lift the cable off the tube." The helm end is up by the steering wheel console?

The cable end at the motor has a solid rod that goes through the tube and extends out the other side. When you turn the helm full port, it's as short as it's going to get. When you then unscrew the cable housing nut on the starboard side and withdraw it from the tube, it has to go that full length straight. Most setups won't allow that.

When you lay under the console, reach over the top of the steering and you will feel 4 bolts on each rack, (the rectangular box on the end of each cable)
Remove those bolts and the rack just lifts off the helm. (pinion)

And lastly, if I want to replace this system to the NFB type, is this here the correct system to order? http://shop.speedwake.com/product_info.php/products_id/13699

Thanks again!

No it is not. You need dual cables to be safe with your engine. With dual cables you can adjust out all the steering backlash. With a single cable system you cannot do that. The difference is a matter of safety at high speed. In fact if you look on the back of the box that teleflex systems come in, it'll tell you that.

You'll like the NFB. The old system is about 2 turns lock to lock, and the new one is 4 turns. On my bass boat I can let go of the helm at over 60mph if the water isn't too rough. Not recommended, but it's that steady.

hope it helps
john

Attachments

• Teleflex-Morse-reduced.JPG
    Teleflex-Morse-reduced.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 0

yaajer

Cadet

Thanks John,

I got the steering cable disconnected of transom portion off and I can see the cables are pretty crusty from what you said, lube! I need to lift the engine, there's just no way I have the clearance to pull the cables through. With that said, can I rent this equipment somewhere?

Thanks,

Dan

yaajer

Cadet

j_martin

Admiral

So John, looks like I can rent a engine hoist for about $50 bucks from a local rental place here. All I need to buy is the lifting eye to screw into the flywheel? Any lifting eye will do? Thanks.

Which one of these?
http://www.offshoremarineparts.com/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=8841

or

http://www.bobsmachine.com/Products/lift-eye.cfm

Oh, and John, you wouldn't want to sell me your cable luber would you? :D

No
No
Sure

eBay 310206140736
eBay 310207315920

hope it helps
John

Attachments

• Flywheel puller.jpg
    Flywheel puller.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Lifting eye.jpg
    Lifting eye.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 0

j_martin

Admiral

Tried to check your profile. You don't exist.:D

yaajer

Cadet

Tried to check your profile. You don't exist.:D

John, I'm going to check my diameter of my cables real quick. Also, those items from ebay, any would work as long as it's the right size correct?