Mercury Offshore 225 Carb'd fuel issue?

Crazy685

Recruit
I have a 1998 Mercury 225 OffShore Carb'd motor with incredibly low hours that is giving me some fuel issues. The motor idles perfectly and when I get it full throttle under load, it roars to life perfectly until about half way through plane, where it seems to just struggle, as if it is being starved of fuel. When I have someone pump the primer ball while doing this, it definitely helps the problem.

I noticed that when I did that, though, the primer ball was all sucked in. Is there a problem with an air leak? The gas is all new, and I figured I should just replace the primer ball and all the fuel lines, since that'd be a quick and cheap way to see if it fixed the problem.

HighLineCBR

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mercury Offshore 225 Carb'd fuel issue?

It seems like you may have a problem with clogged fuel lines. I had a very similar problem and the mistake I made was to try and diagnose the problem starting from the Carb to the fuel tank. I've made many replacements including the Carb, fuel pump, filters and fuel lines, only to find a clogged pickup line in the tank. It was a 5 minute fix that caused me lots of aggrevation, trial and error, $$$ and a full season of problems.

good luck!

j_martin

Admiral

It seems like you may have a problem with clogged fuel lines. I had a very similar problem and the mistake I made was to try and diagnose the problem starting from the Carb to the fuel tank. I've made many replacements including the Carb, fuel pump, filters and fuel lines, only to find a clogged pickup line in the tank. It was a 5 minute fix that caused me lots of aggrevation, trial and error, $$$ and a full season of problems.

good luck!

Probably plugged pickup screen in the tank, or collapsed fuel line between there and the bulb.

Crazy685

Recruit

I'll go through them and see what I can find there. We found that the top carb has this little sensor that had fallen off.

I'll go into the tank and try to replace them all. Thanks guys