convert manual pump trim to power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

superwooter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i have a '78 thunderbolt 700 with a manual pump hydraulic trim. most people i mention this to or show it to either have no idea what i'm talking about or have a nostalgic moment and say something like, "wow! haven't seen one of those in years!" from what i understand, this particular make/model was only made for a couple of years at the end of the 1970's. the label on the side says Dole Fluid Power Products.

the pump has developed a fluid leak where the hand pump pivots and i'm afraid i won't be able to find replacement parts. i'd like to replace the manual pump with a power pump if its feasible. all of the hydraulics are in place so i wonder if a power pump motor could just be added to the existing setup. if not, i'd be interested in hearing some alternative solutions you may have to offer.

i'll take a few pics this evening after work and post them tonight or in the morning for reference.

superwooter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: convert manual pump trim to power?

it was raining this evening so i didn't get the pics. weather is supposed to be nicer this evening, so hopefully i'll have the pics up tonight or in the morning. any thoughts for in the mean-time?

superwooter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

here's the pics i promised of the manual hydraulic trim pump for my merc...

IMAG0061.jpg

IMAG0062.jpg

IMAG0063.jpg

IMAG0064.jpg

IMAG0065.jpg

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Yep... Had one of those nostalgic moments when I saw your picture. Years ago I saw a fellow with this set-up converted with I think a automobile convertible top pump.

superwooter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

by way of an update, i took the boat to the local hydraulic shop this morning at the recommendation of Tashasdaddy. they said it'd be no problem to fix it. i'll be starting a restoration thread after this is fixed. i've been waiting to redo the deck surface until after this hydraulic pump leak is fixed so that i don't get fluid all over my shiny new floor.

izoomie

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's the dangdest thing I've ever seen. How well does it work, when it works?

superwooter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

it works quite well, even with the slow leak. i usually do my hole shot with the motor trimmed all the way down and as soon as i get on plane, i jack it up a bit. it pumps while moving the handle both forwards and backwards, so about 6 or 8 quick back-and-forths trims the motor up to cruising level. i have noticed that when the boat is on the trailer and i trim it all the way up, the pump starts to get a little slack in the motion of the handle near the trim-up limit. i'm hoping this is an issue that will be resolved by the repair at the hydraulic shop. we'll see. if not, it's not a huge deal. it functions fully within the normal boating range of motion of the trim. would i rather have an electric power trim? see the title of this thread. am i happy i don't have to pull a pin and manually lift the motor and lock it into place? definitely.

superwooter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hydraulic shop called this morning. problem solved. i can't wait to get the oily carpet pulled out!

superwooter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i picked up the boat from the hydraulic shop yesterday morning, and to answer the "how well does it work" question: now that it's fixed, it works better than ever. there is no slack in the motion of the handle anymore. i can't wait to get it out on the water and try it out. it's going to be a few weeks though. we start the resto project this weekend and probably won't finish for a few weeks what with limited time to work on it. i hope to have it in the water somewhere between 3 to 5 weeks from now.

rufusdog

Cadet

I would like to the the address or number of the people that rebuilt your pump I have the same set up. I rebuilt both of the lift cylinders but don't know if I want to tackle the pump, although I have a blueprint of the pump I retrieved of the patient page of the Dole Power Product.
dan

Last edited by a moderator:

Bondo

Staff member

I would like to the the address or number of the people that rebuilt your pump I have the same set up. I rebuilt both of the lift cylinders but don't know if I want to tackle the pump, although I have a blueprint of the pump I retrieved of the patient page of the Dole Power Product.
dan

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard Dan,...

Please read the forum rules,... email addresses can't/ shouldn't be posted in the open forums...

I kinda doubt yer gonna get an answer anyways, as superwooter hasn't posted at iboats in nearly a year now...

Post a thread of yer own, about yer problems, instead of dredgin' up these antiques...

Thank you...

Status
Not open for further replies.