Temp and Oil Warning System

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Temp and Oil Warning System

If you want to run without the warning module connected, just add 200:1 oil into the fuel tank. That will protect you in the event of something nasty happening, without making the engine an old smoker.

If the engine isn't running and you have disconnected the blue wire from the cap and you still have beeping from the module, it's faulty.

The original number for the module was -41470A11, it has superseded to -41470A27. (Your A24 number is a production number, not a valid part number for the parts system). If you have -41470A27, you have the right part....

Chris.........

j_martin

Admiral

Key on, beeping. If you disconnect the oil cap, and it doesn't stop, it's the module. (EFI engines have a leg of the cap circuit going to the water detector) If everything else except the cap was disconnected, it would not beep if normal. Fault in either the oil pump motion sensor, or the ignition wire from the switchbox would not show up until the engine is rotating.

I run injected oil. I run about an ounce/gallon in the main tank as insurance. I also carry an extra quart of oil in case the oil alert goes off far from the dock.

If the module was bad going on, it should be under warranty. If yer system went overvoltage, (bad battery connection, reg failure, etc.) it might take out the oil alert. Sometimes they just decide to go on strike.

hope it helps
John

Jonezin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I rechecked it this morning I was pretty tired when I got home and wanted to get everything done on my check list and maybe I did something wrong. Went through each step nothing. it didn't do it until I fired it up.
I mean as soon as the motor turned it started beeping.

Now I'm thinking pump maybe, but again all of that is new or rebuilt, my brother had it done last year so I know its out of warranty. But it didn't see the water after the rebuild until I put it in. He couldn't get it started.

is there anyway to test modual it self with the meter to see if its bad?

and are you sure 200 to 1 on the oil mix?

I thought it was 50-70 to 1, just making sure.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Rotational Sensor.. I think John may have nailed it.

Re- 200:1 yep that's the ticket. Your pump will get you to approx 50:1 and the additonal 200:1 in the fuel tank is insurance that you can idle back to the dock if your pump fails.

Jonezin

Petty Officer 1st Class

anybody know the part # for the sensor I cant find it on the diagram. It just says sensor not sure if that's it or not.

Thanks lot guys y'all always a wealth of help.

achris

Part number for the sensor is -12430A4.

Chris.....

Jonezin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks buddy I'll see if I can find one.
A buddy of mine emailed today and said his done this to
and he retrofitted his and it still did it come to find out it was the cap.
he said his float moved freely and everything. So I'm going to try the cheap fix first cap and sensor. Got my fingers crossed

achris

The cap is just a switch, open, closed. If you have a multimeter you can check it with that. Should show open circuit when the oil tank is full and closed as the level goes down....

Also if it only starts beep when you run the engine (wish you told me that earlier), then the cap is fine.

The other thing worth checking it that the wire (green) from the pack to the warning module is intact. Again with the multimeter check for continuity. Also try moving the wire (at the pack end) to another coil....

Chris......

Jonezin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm sorry buddy I didn't know it at the time, It did it not running at first after I checked the wires maybe something was loose. I wouldn't waste your time.

So I'm to flip flop the 2 green wires on the switch boxes?

achris

...So I'm to flip flop the 2 green wires on the switch boxes?

No. Move the green wire that goes to the warning module to another coil lead.
It should currently be on the lead for coil #2 (if it's still factory), move to to say coil #6. I've had those warning modules not like the output from a particular coil for some unknown reason... Maybe even move it to the other switchbox.

Chris.........
(Don't worry, you didn't waste my time, just nice to have all the facts and give you more accurate info. :D)

Jonezin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok got ya.

Do you believe its the Rotational Sensor?

Your up late or up early

Jonezin

Petty Officer 1st Class

One last thing and I'll leave you alone today.

If I disconnect the blue/wht and the white wire for the sensor will that trigger alarm?

achris

Ok got ya.

Do you believe its the Rotational Sensor?

Until you change the green wire to a different switchbox output, I don't think one way or the other. At this point in time it could be any one of three possibilities. New module faulty, rotational sensor faulty, or module not responding to the switchbox output. Do the test, post the result. If changing the wire doesn't change anything, then it's either the module or the sensor, and as the sensor is cheaper and you don't have an oscilloscope, change that one first.

Jonezin said:
Your up late or up early

Early...:D:D:D Trying to convince myself that the wind isn't too strong to go for a dive...

Chris.......

achris

Hi again,

Just looking at the manual, found something else to have a look at... take the rotational sensor out and have a look in the hole, see if you can see the magnet on the oil pump shaft. You'll need a small torch (flashlight).

Chris.........

Download THIS manual... It's for a later model engine than yours, but all the information on the oil injection system is the same. Chapter 3E. Password for the file is <<ribforum>>

achris

...If I disconnect the blue/wht and the white wire for the sensor will that trigger alarm?

Yes, but only when you start the engine. The module will think the pump shaft is not turning when the engine is running.

Do you get the short beeps as you turn the key ON?

Chris.......

Jonezin

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK moved wire to different coil still beeping.

Shut it off and disconnected blue/wht and wht wire no beeps

but continues tone, then I disconnected blue/tan no sounds.

shut it off and reconnected blue/wht and wht beeping again.

Got good blue smoke. You can smell the oil burning.
Can I call it sensor?

Jonezin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do you get the short beeps as you turn the key ON?

Chris.......

No, only when i bump the motor or spin the motor.

I get that one beep when I switch the key to on then nothing.
I spin the motor all hell breaks lose.

achris

Found a test procedure for the sensor...

attachment.php

Attachments

• oil Sensor.jpg
    oil Sensor.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 2

Jonezin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks buddy will try it tomorrow raining all day here.

Jonezin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just got a lead on a sensor and a oil pump under 100 bucks but that still have to wait a week or 2.