1996 Mercury 200 shifting problem

So I'm having trouble getting the shift cable adjusted into the proper position. It came out one morning when launching my boat and it hesistated to go into reverse and then when it did it was stick in reverse. I mean even when I put it in forward. No big deal, like I said the cable had popped out of its groove back at the motor. Well ever since that has happened I have spent countless hours working with my boat in and out of the water trying to get this resolved. I can get forward and I can get reverse however there is no happy medium like there should be to have both. Now if I run the motor out of the water I can get it adjusted just fine but when it is put in the water it will not have reverse and grind when going into forward. It has something to do with the resistance of the water on the prop. Which makes me think possible lower unit problem? I have just had the cable in a forward adjustment position so it can not go into reverse and fished like that all fall. Time to make a change! I would like to get this resoved asap as I have cash in the wallet after all this snow!