1991 mercury carb. adjustment

tricky12

Recruit
I have a 1991 mercury 25 h.p. ser. no. DO27122 that I just purchased, It was not idling smooth I've clean, rebuilt carb. and fuel pump changed spark plugs and fuel filter with no change. It whats to die and I push the prime button and it will regain its idle, I've adjusted the screw on the top with little or no change it will not run smooth and it seem to be idling to low also. can anyone help. There is 130psi on the top and 125psi on the bottom piston. Any help out there

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: 1991 mercury carb. adjustment

Double check the base ignition timing. If it checks ok and your compression is okay you need to do the carb again.

Welcome to iboats.

tricky12

Recruit
Re: 1991 mercury carb. adjustment

Thank you, I forgot to menition that the reason I got this motor 1991 was that it looks like there wasn't a nut or bolt removed even the prop and skeg there is no paint removed other than looking like it has been stored for a very long time However I will go to the libary and do some research on how to do the base timing. and go throught the carb. again. I do thank you I was hoping when I got the motor it was going to be a simple fix isn't that the way we wish. Tricky