A few questions about my 1994 Mercury 135 hp

Hi guys... Well I need your help on a few questions!

Still in my early days of boating, and absolutely loving it!

So, here we go:

(1) Reference flushing the engine with the muffs. Do I need to have a water supply to the muffs, or can I fill a large bucket of water, and use a small piece of hose, from the muffs to suck the water out? It's just I'm struggling to find a large enough container to drop the bottom of the engine in, and where I keep my boat, there's isn't a water supply close to it.

(2) Also, I've been out on the boat today. It often takes a few attempts to start it when it's cold. I pump the fuel bulb until hard, but always have to use choke and lift the fast idol tap to start it. Is this normal?

(3) When I've been out for a while on it, and stop the engine, If I start it again straight away, it does. If I leave it for a few mins, it sometimes takes a fair few attempts to start it again (using fast idol etc) Can you think of a possible reason for this?

I've recently had the carbs cleaned and put back in etc, so guessing it's unlikely to be that. The plugs have been checked and they all appear ok.

(4) The engine is a 1994 model, with a Quicksilver throttle lever. Do you know if it should beep when I turn the ignition key, to signal that the overheat alarm is working?

Thanks again for your time! You're experience and responses are really helping me out!

Cheers :D

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: A few questions about my 1994 Mercury 135 hp

Hi guys... Well I need your help on a few questions!

Still in my early days of boating, and absolutely loving it!

So, here we go:

(1) Reference flushing the engine with the muffs. Do I need to have a water supply to the muffs, or can I fill a large bucket of water, and use a small piece of hose, from the muffs to suck the water out? It's just I'm struggling to find a large enough container to drop the bottom of the engine in, and where I keep my boat, there's isn't a water supply close to it.

Definitely have the hose with a water supply. The engine will not suck up any water, it will prefer to suck air as you can't get a perfect seal on the muffs.

(2) Also, I've been out on the boat today. It often takes a few attempts to start it when it's cold. I pump the fuel bulb until hard, but always have to use choke and lift the fast idol tap to start it. Is this normal?

Yes, completely normal.

(3) When I've been out for a while on it, and stop the engine, If I start it again straight away, it does. If I leave it for a few mins, it sometimes takes a fair few attempts to start it again (using fast idol etc) Can you think of a possible reason for this?

Hot soak?? You may have too big a propeller on the engine. At full throttle you should be running at between 5000rpm and 5500rpm. If you aren't getting that, then the prop is too big and you are damaging your engine.

I've recently had the carbs cleaned and put back in etc, so guessing it's unlikely to be that. The plugs have been checked and they all appear ok.

(4) The engine is a 1994 model, with a Quicksilver throttle lever. Do you know if it should beep when I turn the ignition key, to signal that the overheat alarm is working?

Do you have your engine owners guide? In there it will tell you what each of the different beeps mean. At key turn on you should hear a sequence of beeps, that indicates the system is working.

Cheers,

Chris.........