Is a 75 HP Mariner a Good Engine

Martman

Seaman
I am looking at buying a used 16 foot boat with a 1988 75HP oil injected mariner. Is this a good engine? what is the difference between the mercury and the mariner engine? Will this be enough power for this boat? It will be used on a lake to fish and pull a tube.

crappie14

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Is a 75 HP Mariner a Good Engine

I am not sure if there is a major change due to model years, but I have a 90 model (3 cyclinder) that I am the 2nd owner of. Not bad on fuel until you open it up then it likes it. Rebuilt carbs last year due to sticking needle valve and other than that has been reliable engine. Everybody tells me to remove oil injector but I hate to as I empty my onboard tank at the end of each season and burn old fuel thru truck where I start each year off with fresh fuel. Parts seem to be available however other than carb kit and water pump I haven't needed any. I did replace the fuel enhancement valve prior to rebuilding carbs as it didn't fix my problem but was a easy fix to try when the engine wouldn't take fuel and jump out of the water due to the sticking needle valve.

Moody Blue

Captain

I owned a 1992 Mariner Magnum 40hp and loved it. Ran extremely well and was very reliable. Never a problem.

I believe (other may be able to confirm/deny) that sometime in the late 80's the mariner engines changed platforms. Original Mariners were Japanese made and of "lower" quality. Later Mariners were made by Merc and identical to them with the exception of the colors and decals. My '92 40hp Mariner for example was identical to the 40hp Merc of the same year.

I have an 80hp Merc on an older heavy 16ft runabout and it performs well. Not a rocket but can pull a 220Ib skier out of the water on one ski. Pulling a tube will be no problem. Top speed with 4 on board in a light chop is about 30mph.

Martman

Seaman

Thanks for the info, this is the merc clone mariner. The boat is in great shape and has always been stored in a boat house. I am going to have to pay top dollar to get the boat, but the dealer has gone through it and give it a clean bill of health. The boat is a 1984 16.5 foot Swiftsure deep vee open bow. I can not find any info on the net about Swiftsure boats. I am in western canada, and I thought it might be a Canadain boat but can find nothing about the.