• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Mercury 150 Black Max Power Trim Problem

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercury 150 Black Max Power Trim Problem

Hello:
    Im trying to repair my Mercury Power Trim. It is 3 rams, Design I, Square motor 3 cables. Sometime ago the oil reservior got broke and saltwater entered to the system. The oil color turned pink. I flushed the whole system including disassembly the cylinders and pressure release valve. Now the Power Trim is working with dificulties. The up movement takes a lot of time but it do the job. The down movement is performing as normal, I think it is due to the engineís weight. The system doesnít have any external leaks and the engine donít get down unless the down button is pressed.
    I think the motor and pump are good because the unit moves full up and down.
    Can any of you please let me know if there is an schematic or a drawing where the internal parts are explained (part list). I would like to know if there are internal valves or springs that can be stocked.
    Mercury 150 HP Black Max S/N 0C27152
    Thanks to all

Re: Mercury 150 Black Max Power Trim Problem

Here ya go, zoom in on it to see the parts more clearly --

Comment

You can use this link to Merc's parts ite to view an exploded view of the parts.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/selec...oc_nbr=V%2D150

Are you certain that you have bleed all of the air out of the system?

Is there an obvious difference in sound/pitch of the motor running faster in the up then going down which would indicate excessive clearance (wear) of the pump from the water.

Comment

Originally posted by sschefer View Post
        Here ya go, zoom in on it to see the parts more clearly --

Thanks a lot. I wrote design II by error. Can you please send me the drawings of design I?
        Thanks again,
        PRdiver

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieB View Post
          You can use this link to Merc's parts ite to view an exploded view of the parts.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/selec...oc_nbr=V%2D150

Are you certain that you have bleed all of the air out of the system?

Is there an obvious difference in sound/pitch of the motor running faster in the up then going down which would indicate excessive clearance (wear) of the pump from the water.
          Thanks a lot very usefull site...

Comment

Hi..
            normally the tilt unit is a gear pump which is bi directional with two loading valves in each direction which the pump pressure has to over come, and they will be some non return valves also, assuming all the air is out you may find that one of the loading valves is passing or not opening properley , sometimes they are reffered to as check valves also.

rgds
            bob

Comment

Originally posted by Boblester40 View Post
              Hi..
              normally the tilt unit is a gear pump which is bi directional with two loading valves in each direction which the pump pressure has to over come, and they will be some non return valves also, assuming all the air is out you may find that one of the loading valves is passing or not opening properley , sometimes they are reffered to as check valves also.

rgds
              bob
              Thanks for your post. I will try it.

Comment

Recently I tryed my pump/motor assembly in another power trim/tilt assembly. The problem is exactly the same. Fast going down and slow and noisy when moving up. This told me the my pump is bad. Does anyone of you know if I can repair the pump's internal valves? Any schematic?
                Thanks in advance,
                PRdiver

Comment

One friend of mine borrowed me another Power Trim Assembly. I installed my motor/pump assembly on it and then the problem was exactly the same. So I concluded that my pump was bad. I ordered a new motor/pump assembly, installed it and now the Power Trim is working fine.
                  Please use this post in case you have the same problem.
                  Thank you all that helped me with your replays.
                  PRdiver

Comment

Originally posted by PRdiver View Post
                    One friend of mine borrowed me another Power Trim Assembly. I installed my motor/pump assembly on it and then the problem was exactly the same. So I concluded that my pump was bad. I ordered a new motor/pump assembly, installed it and now the Power Trim is working fine.
                    Please use this post in case you have the same problem.
                    Thank you all that helped me with your replays.
                    PRdiver
                    I apologize for starting a similar thread but have followed up on it with pointing to this one.

Now, I have a problem removing the motor. There appears to be two bolts that use a 3/16 size hex drive to remove the motor, The one on the outside is no problem but how can I get to the one on the inside without lifting the entire Mercury engine off the boat with a crane? Anyone know? Sure would be nice if there was an easier way. Is there a special tool? Thanks, Mike
                    Boat 1989 17.5 ft Glastron Sierra
                    Engine MERCRUISER Alpha 1 3.0 Liter GM 181 I/L4 SN 1A009382 mfg 10/09/2006 mod # 4111221UT Outdrive SE106 Alpha 1 Series 1
                    Prop Solas Amita 1511-145-19 14.5 x 19 pitch 15 spline rotation standard clockwise

Comment

Not getting much help but then I realize I am not that important. I took some pictures of this part.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	c96ca3145dfe2b4ff5a4468dfc5e7bf0.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	174524Click image for larger version

Name:	701477845150f59754b819e97a51d548.jpg
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	174525Click image for larger version

Name:	f0ab892928625b700886109dd86fce23.jpg
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	174526Click image for larger version

Name:	0c9c4f3c43509cbd0d6bfb96813ab7be.jpg
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	174527Click image for larger version

Name:	d184680485fa14bdf1902e2116f488e3.jpg
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	174528
                      A. How does it come off easiest way?
                      B. Is there a bolt in the back catty corner from where you can see the bolt was removed at the base in the left front OR NOT.
                      C. What if the top rear bolt was taken off, could this be removed that way? ( It is somewhat rounded and very tight at this time )
                      D. What is the cheapest way to replace this? Re-build? Used part? After market part?
                      Thanks
                      Engine MERCRUISER Alpha 1 3.0 Liter GM 181 I/L4 SN 1A009382 mfg 10/09/2006 mod # 4111221UT Outdrive SE106 Alpha 1 Series 1
                      Prop Solas Amita 1511-145-19 14.5 x 19 pitch 15 spline rotation standard clockwise

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	bae993bc29fec8043754dadc740b001e.jpg
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	174531Click image for larger version

Name:	c93807a3d40e199b6e9006a959923305.jpg
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	174532

Where the red arrow is, that is where I think there may be a bolt like in the front that is hard to get to. Also the ser number plate is shown for this Black Max XR4 150 Mercury OB.

Comment

Well the unit would have needed this part or some other aftermarket product but we got it out with a flex hex drive tool and had it rebuilt at an electrical alternator/starter local shop for about $65.00.

Mariner, Mercury Marine Replacement Power Tilt and Trim Motor 6279 - Arco - iboats

I am going to say that I am somewhat disappointed in the lack of help here on this problem but hopefully my posts will help someone else some day.

Comment

Working...
                          X