Help!!! Timing On 15hp Mariner

Hey whats up, I picked up a mariner 15hp its serial is OG339805 Its a long shaft. I'm only 15 years old and need some help I gotta boat to put together 12ft V and Wanna make some nice cash out of my project. But back to motor It cranks up for a second when I take spark plugs out and and spray carb clean through the cylinder. I have a feeling this is from timing from doing some research through google. I have installed a brand new switch-box for the motor to it was around 150.

If any of you know anything about how to adjust the timing please let me know ASAP or if you have some trouble shooting I could do.

ANY HELP WELL APPRECIATED!!! THANKS :)

Mercs and such

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Help!!! Timing On 15hp Mariner

Hi there! If you can't get your hands on a manuel, you can follow these instructions:

-get a timing light and run the motor in foward gear in a test tank.
point the light towards the flywheel, when the piston fires, it lights up illuminating a point on the flywheel. Adjust as needed. Remember, any change done to that means you must sync the carburetors with the electric system. ask a merc mechanic, or someone of good knowledge with your model. Definatly try to get a hold of a manuel. Try seloc.com, or west marine. thats your best bet, Good luck!!

Mercs and Such :cool:

will941s

Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to iboats, nice to see a younger person take a interest in outboards. If your confident that it's just a timing issue, and timing and syncing is Very Very tricky on those outboards (I own two 25's), not to knock anyone, but before you spend a ton of money on chasing problems for a boat your not going to keep; try looking into a shop to sync it for you. Should'nt be much more than a hour of labor and it'll run like a champ. Then you can tack the shop cost onto your overhead and make some cash. And have the peace of mind knowing that whoever gets the boat will have a great running dependable machine. If you do try to attempt the process yourself, just be patient....theres alot of cranking, adjusting, scratching your head, a few foul words, and the passing thoughts of making the motor a fish reef that usually occurs while accomplishing this task. If you need help, theres plenty of real pro's on iboats.

Ya Getting it done by a Professional mechanic definitely sounds good haha but I'm looking to do it myself if possible but not sure where I'd adjust timing do you have a clue? It's a 1996 by the way And my mercury 15hp is in perfect running condition and is the exact same motor it looks like inside and out, maybe I could use that to find out something??? I don't know just putting it out there

will941s

Chief Petty Officer

If you looking at the motor from the back, on the right side is all the linkages. If you look just below the flywheel you will see a small rod with two adjustable ball clips on either end connecting the trigger assembly to the shift linkage system. Thats where you would make the adjustment to timing. You can snap it loose with a screw driver, make small adjustments (making it longer or shorter by turning the ends), and pop it back on for trial. In that area, you also have your throttle stop linkage (screw that rest against a piece of metal), your shift linkage (adjustable rod that runs right behind the carb), and your throttle linkage (the long adjustable rod that attaches the whole assembly to the carb butterfly). All the components work off that one assembly, and all adjustments are made in that area whether it's timing, shifting or linking the carb. The only thing you can't do from there is adjust the carb it's self, which is a single screw on the top, front of the carb. Hope this helps.

Ya thanks for your time and timing tips I put the carb off my 15 MERC on the Mariner and she runs like brand new, Im so happy i got this thing running now i need water pump =( BUT hey atleast shes running