Mercury 135 hp 2.0 litre V6- Gearbox problem. Am I wasting my time and money?

Hi guys,

So my outboard is in the workshop being looked at. It turns out the gearbox is on the way out. The mechanic says that the dog-clutch and gears are rounded and worn on the edges, due to wear and the problem will only get worse.

They have suggested that I have the gearbox replaced or more ideally, consider trading in my outboard for a newer model.

The engine is a 1994 model and generally runs fine, although it was rough running the last time we used it, and a suspected carb problem was diagnosed.

We started having problem going from forwards to reverse when we bought the boat a few months ago. It really 'chatters' and grinds when moving into gear in both directions. To begin with, we hoped it was just an adjustment problem, but it turns out it is more serious.

The carbs also need sorting out at the same time.

So, to the questions: Am I really wasting my money and time, spending money on a new gearbox, on a 1994 outboard?

Are engines of this age generally unreliable and a financial drain?

The engine had a considerable amount spent on it before we bought it, including:

6x pistons
1x gasket set
2x main shaft bearing
6x piston bore

I'm just not sure whether it's worth sticking with it...

In reality, I don't have the funds available to spend thousands on a new outboard, so looking for the cheapest option for now.

Hope you can give me some tips and advise, on the safest and overall best option.

Many thanks for reading!!

Fletchermerc1996 :)

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Mercury 135 hp 2.0 litre V6- Gearbox problem. Am I wasting my time and money?

If the engine is in good shape, it's probably worth a good used LU, or even one of the new aftermarket ones. When you get it fixed, learn to shift it smartly so it doesn't chatter. It is a dog clutch transmission, and the prop hub will soak up all the shock of a quick shift. If you let it chatter, you'll get the damage over time that you describe.

If it had major work, there should also be the "minor" stuff done. The most common killer of these engines is fuel starvation. If they get good fuel and oil, and are operated like they should. (which might be counter-intuitive, like the shifting thing), and you get off it and go fix it if it should balk, or sound an alarm, they are a pretty low maintenance engine.

hope it helps
John

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercury 135 hp 2.0 litre V6- Gearbox problem. Am I wasting my time and money?

I would get a NEW aftermarket unit and bolt it on, they are about $800 depends on where ya shop, and it has a 3 year no fault warranty!!!!

Thanks guys for your help and advice. Much appreciated!! :)

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Regarding your engine. The 2.0L and 2.5L engines were made pretty much the same way for more than 20 years. It's was only when the smog laws changed that they started switching them up with sometimes disasterous results. If you ask me it's one of Merc's heartiest engines.

If your current mechanic is recommending that you replace an engine that's just been rebuilt like you say then find another shop and get a second opinion. It will be worth the haul. Faztbullet gave you the info on replacement Lower Units and you might want to send him a PM. They take all of about 45 minutes to remove and install.

gmacrae

Cadet

I'm no outboard pro by any means, but if that engine has had that much done to it already, i imagine you can be fairly confident in it lasting a good while longer. It still has even compression? Did they do the reeds when they did the block work? I didn't realize you could get a replacement lower unit so cheap, sounds like the way to go. I bet you could also find a tidy secondhand lower unit pretty cheap too, they were probably compatible for a few years after yours was made, one of the guru's could confirm this.