Warning Module, Stator, Switch Box for 1995 Mariner 150

anderdm

Recruit
Have a 1995 Mariner 150 while out fishing one day, Warning Module started beep, beep, beep. Replaced Warning Module went fishing for about 3 hours and the Warning Module started beep, beep, beep again.

Replaced Outer Switch Box, Warning Module still beep, beep, beeping. Oil pump ok, Oil cap ok, took readings on Switch Boxes all LOW, Stator checked out ok.

When I check primary input voltage to Coils I get Zero Voltage readings even though the boat is running good in driveway.

Even though I already changed one switch box, do I have to change both as the readings are still low? Or do you believe there is another problem.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

P.S. When I take green wire from the Warning Module off the Switch Box the beeping stops

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: Warning Module, Stator, Switch Box for 1995 Mariner 150

The warning module does two things,

One, connects to the switch in the cap of the engine mounted oil tank, if that tank is not full to the very top of the neck, the switch triggers the oil alarm. While the engine is running, loosen that cap just a half turn and wait til the tank fills and begins to leak out, tighten the cap, you know it is totally filled.

Second, the module compares the pulses of the oil pump RPM sensor to the ignition pulses on the green wire from one of the coils. If either fails then the alarm goes off.

The very first thing I would do in this situation is to add oil to my fuel tank at a 75 : 1 ratio. My reasoning, if the problem turns out to be a failing oil pump, I DO NOT want to run this motor without oil and hurt it. If the pump turns out OK then the worse thing the additional oil will do is shorten the life of a set of spark plugs. Or just connect a smaller test tank with pre-mixed fuel until we sort out this problem.

Now, spark test all cyls. ideally with a 6 lead tester so you can read all cyls at once. Remove the plugs (easier on the starter and battery) connect all the plug wires, set the gaps at 7/16 and crank the motor. Are all 6 plugs firing consistently?

Check the condition of the green wire from the coil to the alarm module, make sure it is in good shape, clean tight connections, not pinched, cracked, or shorted to ground in any way.

Test the oil sensor with an AC meter set to low volts, less than 20. Unplug the leads from the module and connect to the meter. Crank the motor and watch for a very small twitch of the meter needle. If it does not register try using the ohms setting, the voltage is small enough it should not smoke the meter. It least it hasn't smoked mine (yet).

If both tests check out OK you ain't done yet.

You still have to make sure that both are still working fine while at WOT.

Does the engine still get to WOT RPM while underway? Is there any vibration, loss of power, RPM, indicating an ignition failure at high RPM?

If still OK, then extend the wires on your meter and repeat the oil pump sensor test while at WOT. Is the sensor working consistantly while at speed?

anderdm

Recruit

Thanks Charlie for the information. I will do these tests and get back with you.

j_martin

Admiral

Thanks Charlie for the information. I will do these tests and get back with you.

When the oil alarm goes off, there's something wrong with the oil system. It could be the controls themselves, but that's the wrong assumption to make.

1. Add oil to your fuel till you figure it out.
2. Check to see that the engine mounted tank is plumb full tight. If it isn't, find out why.
3. By the way, if it is an EFI engine, water in the fuel filter sets off the oil alarm. Check it.
4. Still alarms. Disconnect the wires to the oil filler cap. If the alarm stops, the cap is bad. (common)
5. Still alarms, now you need the book, or the page at least that deals with checking the oil alarm inputs from the oil pump and ignition.

The inputs to the coils are pulses, and the inputs to the switchboxes from the stator are AC. They are read with a peak reading AC meter, (DVI) which will read much higher in most cases than an RMS AC voltmeter.

If, according to the book, all the inputs to the oil alert module are good, the module itself is bad. I've seen it.

hope it helps
John

anderdm

Recruit

John,

Thank you for the information. I will get back with you once I finish running all the test and let you know the outcome.

Thanks again!

Dave

anderdm

Recruit

Wanted to take a moment to thank you both. I found out that it was the motion sensor, it worked when it wanted to.

Hope you and your families have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Have fun boating!

Dave

j_martin

Admiral

Wanted to take a moment to thank you both. I found out that it was the motion sensor, it worked when it wanted to.

Hope you and your families have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Have fun boating!

Dave

I'll say it once again. The easiest way to prevent buying parts that are not needed, and also the fastest way back to the lake is systematic diagnostics.
Translated, that means get the book, do the procedures, pay attention to the details, ask questions if you don't understand what you see.

my 02
John