1966 Mercury 900, 90hp, 6 cyl., 3 carbs Leaks Thick Goo after using and tilting

ronshadit

Recruit
I just got this motor for my 1965 Pacific woodie. :) 15.6 long. 90 hp, 6 cyl. 3 carbs!! :p
First run was about 5 minutes.:D Tilted the motor for the trailer home. At home, tilted the motor down and water along with a black sticky thick Goo came out:eek:, a puddle about 2 iches around of Goo...
Next trip out, 20 minutes, and this time twice as much goo!
Called the local mech. from whom I purchaed the motor. He said,:D that all the older motors were not so friendly for the enviroment. Had sort of a catch resivior for the gas and oil passed. That is what come out.:cool
Sounds good, makes sence. The goo does stop coming out after a bit of dripping.
Anyone know for sure if that is a good story????? Hope so. Thanks,, Ron

OldMercsRule

Captain
Re: 1966 Mercury 900, 90hp, 6 cyl., 3 carbs Leaks Thick Goo after using and tilting

Hmmmmm got some picks?

I don't get any goo droolin' outa me old Black girls.

Is it gear oil?

Where is it coming from, (the prop or some such)? JR

ronshadit

Recruit
Re: 1966 Mercury 900, 90hp, 6 cyl., 3 carbs Leaks Thick Goo after using and tilting

Hmmmmm got some picks?

I don't get any goo droolin' outa me old Black girls.

Is it gear oil?

Where is it coming from, (the prop or some such)? JR

Thanks, the first time, it came from just back of the prop, shaft area, and ran down the fin. Second time, it came from there and seemed to come out the end and drip of the prop blades. Stops after total discharge. :confused: Today or tomorrow I will loose the drian plug a bit and check color. The stuff is think n black. Thick as gear lube. Reminds me of old rearend lube.

OldMercsRule

Captain

Thanks, the first time, it came from just back of the prop, shaft area, and ran down the fin. Second time, it came from there and seemed to come out the end and drip of the prop blades. Stops after total discharge. :confused: Today or tomorrow I will loose the drian plug a bit and check color. The stuff is think n black. Thick as gear lube. Reminds me of old rearend lube.

Does it smell like gear lube?

Then yer LU needs seals.

I've never had a similar proplem on any of my inlines.

If ya check the LU ta see if yer case is full of water (or milky, which means water is mixed with the gear oil).

You can pressure test the LU to see where it is leaking, (if there is water or the gear oil is gone).

If the "goo" doesn't smell strong like gear oil, it could be excess 2 cycle oil that I've read some folks here have had issues with. Me thinks the 2 cycle oil would not be thick or black (as you state).

Good luck. JR

emckelvy

Commander

As the Cap'n said, if it's stinky, it's gear oil. The smell comes from the sulfur extreme-pressure additives in the oil.

If it's just gassy, oily smell, the ol' gal is just drooling!!!

Probably all the old deposits in the innards being knocked out.

It wouldn't hurt to do a decarbonizing routine and then run Seafoam or equivalent carbon-cleaning additive in the fuel.

Here's the site's FAQ on decarbonizing:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158076&highlight=seafoam

HTH..........ed