1995 Mercury XRi 200 loading up

garygarris

Recruit
I need some help and I cant be the only one whos seen this problem. Here's what I know. I have a 1995 200 xri on a Gambler bass boat. The boat on occasion is having a problem staying started. I just had the injetors cleaned and I know it has good compression. When it does get started I can run normally most of the time but other times the motor looses some power while running. I can still stay on plane but power cuts significantly. There are times when I am loading the boat on the trailer or trying to get on plane and it loads up. Almost as if it looses 1 or more cylinders. Any thoughts? My problem is I cant "break" it enough to get my mechanic to fix it. Thanks in advance.

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: 1995 Mercury XRi 200 loading up

I need some help and I cant be the only one whos seen this problem. Here's what I know. I have a 1995 200 xri on a Gambler bass boat. The boat on occasion is having a problem staying started. I just had the injetors cleaned and I know it has good compression. When it does get started I can run normally most of the time but other times the motor looses some power while running. I can still stay on plane but power cuts significantly. There are times when I am loading the boat on the trailer or trying to get on plane and it loads up. Almost as if it looses 1 or more cylinders. Any thoughts? My problem is I cant "break" it enough to get my mechanic to fix it. Thanks in advance.

Have your mechanic test the stator and coils.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Check the condition of your plugs. They should all look the same. Also it may be time for a new set.

Look on this site's search engine for DECARBING instructions. A decarb certainly wouldn't hurt and could solve your problems.

Clean, fresh fuel and fuel filter is an absolute must.

Then go to your dealer for an ignition check if you still have problems.

Mark

Last edited:

garygarris

Recruit

So thanks for the advice so far. I had the boat out today and it stalled while doing about 50mph.

I will have my mechanic check the stator and the coils. Thanks

Mark, I have new plugs, new fuel, new fuel filter, seperator and all the "DECARB" it? I assume because it has injectors that it cant be decarbed. I could be wrong.

Thanks again
Gary

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

I had a customers engine last year doing very close to what you describe. After several hours of testing(on water) and checking ignition system I unplugged the rectifier/regluators from the stator and miss went away. I did not try to figure out which one was defective but replaced both and engine ran great.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

So thanks for the advice so far. I had the boat out today and it stalled while doing about 50mph.

I will have my mechanic check the stator and the coils. Thanks

Mark, I have new plugs, new fuel, new fuel filter, seperator and all the "DECARB" it? I assume because it has injectors that it cant be decarbed. I could be wrong.

Thanks again
Gary

Don't know why you cain't. Ought to clean injectors without a problem. Besides decarbing also cleans up the cylinders removing carbon on the piston and can loosen any rings that may be stuck.

But Fazbullet has a good point worth checking too.

Mark