hand pump manual hydrolic trim question

superwooter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
on my 79 model champion tri-hull, i have a 78 model mercury 700 3 cyl that has a hydrolic hand pump trim. i've shown it to a couple of boat mechanics who became overcome with a look of nostalgia upon seeing it. when i first got the boat a couple months ago, i had no idea what to do with it, but it didn't take much playing around with it to figure it out.
one thing i noticed when i first got the boat was the oily carpet all around the steering console and a black oily stripe running down the side of the console from the hand pump trim down to the carpet. it leaks fluid from the the back side of where the hand pump pivots.
i'm not quite sure how to fix the leak. i believe it has a bad seal, but i would be willing to bet the replacement parts are non-existent at this point.
does anyone have any experience with these old trim pumps and does anyone have any idea what i should do about the leak?
thanks,
wooter

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: hand pump manual hydrolic trim question

take it to a hydrolic shop, but they have an o ring to fit it. most likely that is one of the first CMC units.

superwooter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: hand pump manual hydrolic trim question

it says Dole Fluid Power Products on the side. you can see it mounted to the side of the console in this pic...

IMG00005.jpg

i'm hoping to have some time to mess around with it over the thanksgiving holiday, but i'm not sure where a hydraulic shop around my town would be. i did a google search but was unsuccessful. my dad works with oil field equipment and may have access to what i need to fix it. i'll be visiting the parents in natchez, ms in a couple of days.