WD40 as a fogger?

will941s

Chief Petty Officer
I was looking at the properties in fogger and to me it looks like the same thing as WD40, so my question is can you use WD40 to fog your upper cylinder walls during storage?

surge006

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: WD40 as a fogger?

I'm new so, and needed advice for my own winterize, but when i was asking about fogging oil my buddy told me he uses wd40 in his outboard and has done so for 4yrs now with no problems. I used fogging because i was at marine store anyway getting parts. Best i can do.

will941s

Chief Petty Officer

Well, at least I know there is someone else out there that thought about it too. I have tons of cans of WD40 around the house, I figured it can't be too much different than a fogger.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Just yesterday I was talkng to a slip neighbor, and he told me he's been fogging engines with WD-40 for years. I'd never considered it.

will941s

Chief Petty Officer

I think I will try WD40 as a fogger. I usually don't fog my engines because it does not get really cold here in Charleston, and I fish all winter, but I need to rebuild my carb before I take it back out...next spring, so it's going to sit a few months. I know you remove the plugs and spray the cylinder walls, move the pistons up and down a few times to spread it, and fog it again. How do you get the WD40 in the crank case through the reeds? Open the carb and turn it over to suck it in, or do I even worry about that at all? Also do I store it with the motor down or up?

rolmops

Vice Admiral

The purpose of fogging an engine is to prevent corrosion in the crank and pistons.WD40 is a fairly thin oil and it does not do as good a job as other oils.
A much better fogger would be Deep Creep (a seafoam product) because of all the additional things that it does.Deep creep is a 100% petroleum product which WD40 is not.

Rudi2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The purpose of fogging an engine is to prevent corrosion in the crank and pistons.WD40 is a fairly thin oil and it does not do as good a job as other oils..

Agreed - for a few bucks buy a can of defogging oil and do it right.

will941s

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for all the help. Going to fog it with a fogger. I have never used any seafoam products, I'm thinking of using some seafoam in my gas tank when I run it in the spring with fresh new Ethanol free gas from the gas station across the road. Any thoughts on how seafoam works? I've heard really good things, as well as really bad things about it.

Fisnfool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Never had any problem with a seafoam product if used correctly. Did hear some guys complain that the decarb fouled the plugs. But that just means they did not read the directions. It clearly states that decarbing will make the freed up lose carbon foul the plugs.

Glad you changed your mind. Marine specific oils are not a place to skimp.

I worked in the Chemical and Petroleum Additives industry for 25 years.

Chemically the two products are different. And WD40 would eventually drain off the parts. Fogging oil when used properly stays on the bearings to prevent rust. It is made with additives that WD40 does not contain.

Even though a lot of people use WD40 as a penetrating oil, it was actually made as a water displacement product. That is what the WD stands for. It was the 40th attempt at the formula.

Same with 25 - 40 marine oil. It has additives the add to the cling power and metal penetration power that auto oils do not. That is why the higher cost.

Think how often your boat sits unused for several days or over winter. Auto oil could actually drain off critical parts.

Fisnfool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just yesterday I was talking to a slip neighbor, and he told me he's been fogging engines with WD-40 for years. I'd never considered it.

Next time you see him, ask him what YEARS mean.

I am still running a 1965 Starcraft with a 110hp merc I/O. Piston rings were changed and valves hardened in 2005. Previous owner had all maintenance done professionally and kept all receipts prior to my purchase. Nothing in the history from 1965 to present showing engine bearing replacement.

Your slip mate may have not been doing this long enough to have a major problem show up. But I bet he has unnoticed performance loss over the years. Without the proper additives, there has to be some extra engine wear.