1967 Mercury 1100SS The fun begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

taliesin1935

Seaman Apprentice
Mercury 1100SS The fun begins!

I'm restoring a 1965 Glastron V-171 sportsman. The cool brochure pics from the day...see below...had my boat with a sweet 100hp Mercury on it. I got the boat sans motor and HAD to get the right one to get the look.

I found a SWEET 1100SS 1967 Mercury. It'll look GREAT on there...and the boat is rated at, ta-daaa, 110 hp!

I looked at a few other motors, and am amazed at how tired and abused some of them can look. Rust, grime, taped wires, dents, and just general overall 40 yrs of use and abuse.

I kept on looking.

I found mine stuck to an old (but not my kind of thing) Tri Hull of the same vintage. The motor that came with the boat. Motor was advertised with the old boat attached. What the heck, you can always find a few parts...though there weren't many.

The guy used it a few times and the rest of the time it spent in the dry confines of a pole barn, covered, so the story goes.

I haven't started it, but it has good compression and looks for all the world like it has not been used much AT ALL in it's lifetime. The guy had it for almost 30 years and worked 7 days a week so he never took it out.

I popped the cover, and it looks NEW inside. The starter rope is still coiled up and never used or even taken out."Didn't know it had one!" the guy says.

Hmmmm...I bet the impeller is the original, even the prop looks good and I suspect it's the original.

I want to take it slow, new impeller, clean or most likely overhaul carbs, fuel pumps. Wonder if the hoses (they look GOOD) should be updated for alcohol cursed fuel possibilities. The paint looks pretty good, shouldn't be TOO hard to make it look mint.

Anyway for now, here it is:

65V-171.jpg

1114091527.jpg

DSC_0138.jpg

DSC_0119.jpg

DSC_0125.jpg

DSC_0127.jpg

taliesin1935

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1967 Mercury 1100SS The fun begins!

Oh yeah, they ACTUALLY raced V-171 Sportsmans back in the day. Were great in rough water....

King__S_Favourite__1966_-1.jpg

BoffinsCoffininactionramgate1965.jpg

Pan_Yan__1965_.jpg

Sovereign__1967_.jpg

daveswaves

Ensign

That is by far, the cleanest, newest looking 1100ss I have seen since 1967. You will have to update the hoses and knock the timing back a few degrees to accommodate the "fuel" we have today. Carb kits will be in order as the older ones had neoprene type needle tips which will have rotted and will not stand up to todays fuel. Fuel pump diaphragm will need to be changed as well. All in all a great find.

taliesin1935

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, it pays to be safe with all that stuff! I'd hate to rush through and just run it. I have no idea when the impeller or any other parts were changed. Best be safe here, I say. Guy claimed it was in his pole barn and didn't get a chance to use it for years. I opened it up and figured it can't have many hours at all on it. It turned over fine and I decided to take a chance!

Hmmmm....got to study the service manual when it arrives soon.

Should be fun!

You found a jewel. Remove the plugs and put several ounces of marvel mystery oil into each cylinder and let soak for a week to insure the rings are free. Be very careful if you remove the distributer because the rotor and cap COST GOLD TO REPLACE and are hard to find..As others said all of the gas lines need to be replaced and a carb overhaul and fuel pump overhaul with new impellar. I did all this to my 60 merc and it runs well after sitting for 15 years. take you time.

taliesin1935

Seaman Apprentice

I've priced the caps...seriously....is there ANY reason for them to be THAT expensive? Maybe if you have a boat they figure you have deep pockets. Not me! The wires SCREW out, correct? Wonder how many have been wrecked by someone yanking on them.

Thanks!

OldMercsRule

Captain

I dunno I run a few of the ol' silver block Black girls n' I don't fix things that aren't broken. :eek:

I would get some muffs n' torch her off n' watch the impeller pee very carefully n' shut her down if no pee I may fog the holes but prolly wouldn't even do that. ;)

I jus' bought a 1972 1150 that looks as good as yers and she fired right up n' peed n' ran real good 'cept the feller put int LU in forward so I will have ta drop it n' shift her to the correct position. :D

Same with me 1967 950, (also a real purdy fresh water virgin like yers), I had ta change out the ol' trigger, (she would die when I let off the key) n' a great guy helped me with a trigger from his 950.

The 1150 has one leakin' line that I need to update, (the 950 is fine with the factory lines). I have two real fine 1969 1000s as well that run real good n' I had ta change a few of their lines.

Try ta get non alcohol fuel (if ya can), 89 octain. Me thinks max advance is 21 degrees if memory serves, (be sure to check Clams Camaino's lync n' sync thread fer the exact figgure.

BTW: the packard 440 wire are aftermarket. :cool:

Ya may wanna unscrew the cap n' inspect the corntacts n' the rotor, (the rotor doesn't come off so don't try). BTW: the wires screw into the cap so don't pull 'em.

If ya pump the bulb n' she is firm n' no leaks yer good IMHO. The fuel pumps may need to be changed (very easy to do). There are three individual filters on each carb that may need to be blown out if yer lookin' fer werk.

I would at least try her, (as I would have prior ta buyin' her), ta see what she needs before tearin' her apart n' fixin' things that may not be broken.

It is yer call n' what ever floats a person's boat should be done is me philosophy.

Good luck, very nice 1100! Respectfully, JR

On my 1960 merc 300 the wires slide into the cap and inside the cap are little screws which hold each one in place. The cap on mine did have several small cracks which I sealed back together with epoxy. Just the ceramic rotor button is several hundred bucks and not much bigger than a walnut. I guess the high cost is because they dont make them anymore and the ones left are very very hard to find and the engine is no good if you dont have one. The carb kits and drive belt and fuel pump kit can be found no problem.I found a guy that has a good supply of the old merc stuff located in Mooresvile NC called "Bills Dry dock" He sells on the internet and helped me out.

emckelvy

Commander

On the 6-cyl the coil wire and plug wires screw into the distributor cap.

Those Packard 440 wires look absolutely gorgeous and so does the cap.

I'd expect that all the cap might need is a clean & inspect. You can flush the cap with carb spray and that'll get any nasty carbon dust and other debris out of there without leaving a film.

Very easy to pull the cap down for the inspect, you don't even need to remove the plug wires to do so.

In the pics of the distributor it appears at least (2) of the dist-drive-to-adapter-plate bolts are missing.

These are short 1/4-20 bolts that insert from the top of the drive assy into the lower dist housing (the one that contains the ign pickup, rotor, cap, etc.

There are (4) bolts holding the lower part to the upper part and if you were to pull all (4) the entire lower part of the dist will just pull right down. If you plan on doing this, first remove the front plate which holds the throttle stop, spark advance stop, and idle stop. It's just held in by (2) 1/4-20 bolts and is easily removeable.

After you remove that plate, it's not too bad getting at the (2) remaining bolts to pull the lower part of the dist.

At minimum you should replace the missing bolts. Pull one of the other ones so you can get the correct length.

BTW here's some info on Dinosaur Mercs which you may find useful:

http://www.maxrules.com/fixoldmercindex.html

Have Fun!..........ed

Laddies

Banned

That engine still has points instead of the breaker less conversion that was installed on most of the early Thunderbolt engines.

OldMercsRule

Captain

That engine still has points instead of the breaker less conversion that was installed on most of the early Thunderbolt engines.

No Bob both me 1967 950 and that 1967 1100 have a trigger. You should know as my engine has yer trigger. Yer thinkin' 'bout the 1966.

Respectfully, JR

Edit: 'Scuse me Bob! Yer right that is a 1966 with only one wire from the port side of the cdi n' does have points!!!!!!! I should never question the truly big guns here on iboats. Very sorry, (only one functional brain cell). :redface: :redface:

Note: make sure to reset the points on this ol' girl every 100 hours of use or yer battery may run outa juice!!!!

Laddies

Banned

JR, look at the port side of the switch box and you will see that there is only 1 termenal that makes it a point engine, all breaker less have 3 termenals. Also thats a 1966 engine. Bob

Laddies

Banned

JR, when I posted I see your edit so we must have been typing at the same time. Good to see you back

taliesin1935

Seaman Apprentice

Aha, the plot thickens. I guess I thought SS meant no points, but maybe it refers to something else, the switch box and the Thunderbolt stuff maybe.

Manual is on way as we speak. Are the points under the distributor cap (please, please, please) or are they hidden away somewhere in a deep and inaccessible spot?

If it's points, it's points. Oh well. I think I'll keep it. I speak points, my other boat is a 1967 Sea Ray SRV 180 I/O with a 165hp Chevy straight six (love straight sixes!) It has points and I keep that going ok...pretty ok actually. They make a breakerless kit for that one, is there any such animal for these?

Whatever, I'll figure it out! All those guys (could be gals as well...just an expression!)run the classic Mercs just fine, I suspect it can be done, right?

Thanks for the input. If you want any particular closeup of anything, it's only a few feet away!

Thanks!

Ed

OldMercsRule

Captain

Aha, the plot thickens. I guess I thought SS meant no points, but maybe it refers to something else, the switch box and the Thunderbolt stuff maybe.

Manual is on way as we speak. Are the points under the distributor cap (please, please, please) or are they hidden away somewhere in a deep and inaccessible spot?

If it's points, it's points. Oh well. I think I'll keep it. I speak points, my other boat is a 1967 Sea Ray SRV 180 I/O with a 165hp Chevy straight six (love straight sixes!) It has points and I keep that going ok...pretty ok actually. They make a breakerless kit for that one, is there any such animal for these?

Whatever, I'll figure it out! All those guys (could be gals as well...just an expression!)run the classic Mercs just fine, I suspect it can be done, right?

Thanks for the input. If you want any particular closeup of anything, it's only a few feet away!

Thanks!

Ed

I warned ya to get the 1967 or later, (as verified by the seriel number).

Points are under the distributor cap.

Make sure ya check 'em n ' set 'em every 100 hours.

If ya got a good deal, (price wise), and she has even cornpression n' no water in the LU: yer fine. The engine looks as sweet as mine do.

If ya let the points get out of adjustment it will run the battery down, (not good), as that engine needs a hot battery.

I would keep it if she is solid, n' keep yer eye on the points.

Laddies may know if you could swap a 1967 distributor n' switchbox to yer girl. I would leave it as is if it were mine.

Good luck. JR

taliesin1935

Seaman Apprentice

I think I misunderstood the whole "SS" thing. From reading many posts, I gleaned that consensus was that the SS was breakerless and non SS were points. But whatever...I don't suppose all the old Merc devotees are gonna toss their prizes into a scrap heap because of it. It just looked too clean to pass up. It WILL work...I could learn something here!

taliesin1935

Seaman Apprentice

I read a post where someone had a 1966 1100 and points. They had TWO coils. I think I only have one coil. There was a spark problem on half the cylinders. Switching between two coils was part of the diagnosis procedure.

Any revelations from this shot?

DSC_0139.jpg

Laddies

Banned

Your engine can be converted to breaker less with a kit or distributor and switch box very easily. SS was the designation for CD ign whether breaker less or with points.

emckelvy

Commander

Well, there were Plain-Jane '66's with dual-coil and points ign, then there were the fancy-dancy "SS" models (like yours) with CDI ign triggered by the same sets of points. You'll notice both brown and white wires going to the switchbox. Each wire comes from a set of ign points.

I'm thinking your motor is a '66 not '67, 'cause in '67 (to add to the cornfusion), Merc used a breakerless distributor.

Even though your motor uses points, it's still gonna have a much stronger spark because of the CDI. So, you'll probably need to clean the points, gap as necessary, and set the dwell. You'll want to get a manual for this part. Or, just clean the points without disturbing the gaps and that should get you by for a while.

While unlikely, it's possible the points are still conducting. You can check by disconnecting the points wires from the switchbox. With one meter lead to ground, on the Ohms scale (or use a test light), clip the other meter lead to one or the other points wire. As you rotate the flywheel (thru at least one full rotation), you should alternately see continuity (points closed) and infinite resistance (points open). If you don't get a meter reading, you're gonna need to clean the points.

Adjusting dwell requires the dist to be completely removed from the motor, set upside down for the adjustments. You'll need a copy of the dwell-scale and will have to cobble up a pointer to attach to the dist shaft.

Let us know if you get to that and I can send you a good copy of the dwell scale that you'll be able to print out.

Anyway, nothing scary about that ign and nowhere's near the issues that the old non-electronic versions had. She'll spark real well with just some gentle persuasion!

Here's some more info you may find useful:

http://www.oldmercs.com/1966merc1100ss.htm

Have Fun!.........ed

Status
Not open for further replies.