25 hp mercury shifting problems help please

jamesS

Recruit
I have a 2001 25 EH model Mercury outboard. It is the model with the shifter in the tiller handle. Today it just suddenly started an issue of not wanting to shift out of forward gear. It wont go from the forward gear to the neutral or reverse gear. This caused many issues since I have to manually pull the safety switch from the fly wheel to get it to start as well as the no reverse issue.

I really need some help or advice on how to fix this issue. We have less than one week till our duck season opener and it is my main boat to run. Untill today the boat had never given a moments problem.

emckelvy

Commander
Re: 25 hp mercury shifting problems help please

I'm assuming from your description of the problem that it's real stiff and won't go?

I've seen a fair amount of tiller-shift motors have binding shift linkage.

Seems that the plastic material of the shifting arm (lever) - the one actually attached to the lower unit's shift rod - swells up and then binds. No amount of lubrication can fix this, because the clearances are too tight.

The fix for this would be to replace this shifting arm. Or, in a pinch, sand or otherwise grind down the swollen material until it fits properly.

Best way to figure this out is to uncouple the shift arm from the shifting rod. There's a latch to pull up, then this piece pulls straight out to the side. It has a pin which engages the hole in the shift rod.

At this point, the shift rod should be free to move up and down. You can grab hold of the rod at any accessible point on its length and attempt to shift. If you turn the prop a bit at the same time it'll help. Be sure the kill switch is engaged and both plug wires are pulled!!

If the lower unit won't shift manually, you've got issues down there. But I bet your problem is in the upper end. With the shift rod disconnected you'll have a better chance of narrowing down the problem.

Here's a link to a picture of what I'm talking about. Probably not your exact model but the design is common and similar in most of these:

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...hrottle+and+Shift+Linkage(Tiller+Handle+Shift)

The piece I'm talking about is "Ref 12", "LEVER, Horizontal Shift Shaft, Port"

Also check part #13, the main shift shaft for binding.

Note: part #11 in the diag, the backplate lever, is the piece that locks the shift rod to the shift arm.

HTH & let us know what you find.........ed

Lee Liechty

Recruit

Ed, I am helping James with this problem. It seems that part #28 moves freely when the handle is rotated but its gears are not meshing correctly with part #29. Part #29 and the linkage connected to it are not wanting to move. Would this be caused by the problem you are describing? Just want to be sure before we start disassembling. Thanks for your help.

Lee

jamesS

Recruit

Ed thanks for your quick and helpfull reply. Like Lee said would the gears not quite lining up make the same effect?

Also my motor doesnt have the part #13 or #12. It is shifted from the tiller by cables that link up to the main and secondary gears. Any help would be appreciated.

jamesS

Recruit

Serial # OT193791

Also I noticed that it has a spot on the shifter of the gear case I suppose that you could put an manual shifter handle on the motor instead of it shifting in the tiller handle. Would this not be a simpler way of avoiding this issue.

emckelvy

Commander

Serial # OT193791

Also I noticed that it has a spot on the shifter of the gear case I suppose that you could put an manual shifter handle on the motor instead of it shifting in the tiller handle. Would this not be a simpler way of avoiding this issue.

You mean like this?

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...0&bdesc=Throttle+and+Shift+Linkage(Side+Shift)

Not a bad idea, never have liked these integrated shift/throttle models. They're great from the factory but once they get some wear/slop in them, they almost never work right.

Guess you'd need to buy the shift handle (if you could find the NLA part - try ebay), looks like the handle screws right onto the square 'nub' of the existing shift shaft.

I believe that the above diagram is for your motor, check out the tiller handle assy and you'll see that it is of the cable-type:

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...br=3236&bnbr=150&bdesc=Tiller+Handle+Assembly

G'luck.........ed