No spark 87 Mariner 75 HP

Whateversbiten

Recruit
Engine ran fine all fall. Out last Monday, engine ran fine all morning. Went to start up to head in and it started and idled for a couple of seconds then died. Would not restart. Friend towed me in. Trouble shooting shows no fire to any plugs. Engine is 1987 Mariner, 3 cyl., 75 hp, Ser. No. OB 241403. I have a Clymer manual for the engine, but it is not worth very much (doesn't even acknowledge the 3 cyl 75 hp in the wiring schematic). Down loaded CDI trouble shooting guide and did the kill wire disconnect (tilt switch is tied to the kill wire circuit and I am sure the emergency kill switch is also) also did rectifier test per the TS guide, still nor spark. New battery and engine spins up fine on starter so that is not the problem.

Did a search on the forum for no spark. Lots of posts, but not what I need.

From the CDI TS:

Three Cylinder Engines
1976-1996
Three Cylinder Engines Using a Single Switch Box and Three Ignition Coils
NO SPARK ON ANY CYLINDER:
1. Disconnect the black/yellow stop wire AT THE PACK and retest. If the engine?s ignition now has spark, the stop circuit has
a fault-check the key switch, harness and shift switch.
2. Disconnect the yellow wires from the stator to the rectifier and retest. If the engine has spark, replace the rectifier.
3. Check the cranking RPM. A cranking speed less than 250-RPM will not allow the system to fire properly.
4. Check the stator resistance and DVA output as given below:

Flywheel with Bolted-in Magnets
WIRE Read To OEM RESISTANCE CDI RESISTANCE DVA
Blue Engine GND 5800-7000 2200-2400 180V or more
Red Engine GND 135-165 45-55 25V or more

Flywheel with Glued-in Magnets
Blue Engine GND 3250-3650 500-600 180V or more
Red Engine GND 75-90 28-32 25V or more

Red Stator Kit
White/Green Green/White 500-700 500-600 180V or more
Blue Engine GND OPEN 180V or more

My questions:

1. TS guide lists bolted in magnets, glued in magnets and "red stator kit". Without pulling the flywwheel, how do you know what you've got?

2. I am assuming the engine has a CD ignition, but am not sure. I am also pretty sure it is the original ignition system. Can anyone confirm the original sytem was a CDI ?

3. The TS guide lists OEM RESISTANCE, CDI RESISTANCE and DVA with different readings for the three different configurations. What is the difference between OEM (Original Equip. Manufact. ??) RESISTANCE and CDI RESISTANCE in the tables?

Thanks in advance for all help and for putting up with the long post.

WEB