97 Mercury 125 hp Throttle Problem

Morpheus78

Cadet
Here is the second issue apart from my idle issue. The boat seems to only have 2 speeds... slow and really fast. Its hard to get the engine to stay at a medium speed. I can get out of the canal doing 5 mph, then ill increase the throttle and the handle seems like it gets stuck and you have to give it some UMPH! to move the rest of the way up. The thing is...once you move the throttle just a hair above the point where it gets stuck...its like the engine is almost at full throttle. I tried to adjust the throttle, but it hasnt really helped. Was told i might need to change the throttle cable. Someone else said it might be something electronic that is doing it, but i forgot the name...they said the old Force 125 hp used to have a problem like this and it was an electronic/ignition issue? Any help is appreciated. Thanx

Fuzzytbay

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 97 Mercury 125 hp Throttle Problem

Its best to post all the problems in one thread. Its obvious the motor has more than just an idle problem, which makes my reply to your other thread kind of useless.

twopunches

Cadet

i had the same problem. easy fix. new throttle cable or shifter cable.they freeze up over time.i changed both and it fixed the problem.
try this! disconnect the shifter cable and then try the throttle and see if it moves any easier. good luck

steve

Morpheus78

Cadet

Thank you TwoPunches... thats what everyone tells me. Ill do that and post the results.