Whats Wrong with my 1962 Mercury 6 hp

qz5kbk

Cadet
First of all I want to appologize because I am a novice when it comes to outboard motors and may ramble a bit as I describe what symptoms of my problems are.
I acquired what I beleive is a 1962 (or a 1963) 6 hp Twin Mercury outboard motor several years ago. I use it only a few hours every summer at my parents cottage, and other then store it for the remained of the year by fogging the cylinders and changing the gear oil.
This year when I went to use it, the motor worked fine for the first 15 minutes of use and then stalled. When the motor stalled it didn't cut out like an electrical problem but the RPM's ramped down almost like it wasn't getting fuel. I wasn't able to start the motor and had to row back to shore. I let the boat sit a few hours and them went out in the bay and tried to start the motor again, and had no problem getting it to run , and I ran it around the cove for a few minutes without any problem. At first I had thought the problem may have been a stuck needle in the carb, and now was free.
The next day, I ran the motor and had the same problem as the first time. The motor ran strong for around 5 minutes, and then the motor ramped down like it was running out of fuel.
After looking at the motor this is what I noticed.
1) The outflow of water from the impeller wasn't very strong. I checked the condition of the impeller and it looked ok. The discharge opening is rather big on this model and I am not sure on what is a normal output from the impellor.
2) I looked at the filter before the carb, and it did have some sediment caught in the screen, but not enough to cause starvation of fuel.
3) The spark plugs looks black and had quite abit of carbon on them.

Thats about all I noticed.
Could the outboard be over-heating due to lack of cooling, which is causing a vapor lock of fuel? What is a normal output of flow ?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for reading.
Jon

jbjennings

Captain
Re: Whats Wrong with my 1962 Mercury 6 hp

I'm thinking it's either overheating, or you have a problem with an electrical component that is heating up and causing an open circuit---like a coil or such. I'd crank it up and feel the cylinder head. If you can't hold your finger on it for at least 3 seconds, it's getting too hot. I do suspect it's overheating. There should be a nice flow coming from the indicator hole if it's unobstructed. A lot of times there will be steam coming out of the indicator hole when the motor overheats. You don't want it to get to that point.
Good luck,
JBJ

qz5kbk

Cadet

Thanks JBJ,
I also believe that the motor is over-heating. I don't get much flow from the indicator hole. Acutally it more like spits water out instead of a constant flow.
Do you have any recommendations on how to flush that cooling system out? I was going to use air pressure, do you think that would work?

jbjennings

Captain

You can remove the lower unit and put a piece of 3/8 fuel line on the water tube, and duct tape the other end to a water hose and turn on the hose. That way, you'll see if you have a blockage in the water jackets or a bad water pump, or an exhaust leak in the upper or lower water tube grommets, etc. I suspect an exhaust leak in the water tube grommets, or the exhaust cover gaskets, since it's spitting water. Anyway, the water hose on the water tube test should point you in the right directon.
Good luck,
JBJ

Laddies

Banned

You have gotten good advise, those engines will suck exhaust around the 2 rubber grommets on the vacuum side of the pump if not sealed with a sealant and the impellers are prone to getting a set if the engine sits for a year or more, I would replace it if the engine was mine I don't like rowing.

qz5kbk

Cadet

I think thats my problem right there. I didn't notice two grommets on the vacuum side of the pump. All I saw was a section of what I thought was fuel hose that was used to connector the pump cover to the output pipe. Not being familar with this motor, or outboards in general I didn't thing twice about it till now. I think I need to find a better way to seal the pump.

Where would the two rubber grommets be if there are still there? On the pipe closest to the pump housing or on the other end near the exhaust?

The advice about using the garden hose was great. I'm not going to be able to work on the motor this weekend, but I'm anxious to see how much flow I see from the exhasut port when I get time.

Can you recommend any manual or book I can purchase that might get me familiar with motors of this era?

Thanks for all you help, I really appreciate it