mercury Shift cable free spins

marinemike43

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1978 115 and put the water Impeller in .
Trying to put the drive back on...not fun and the shift rod pulled right out.
Now when I put in back in it will just free spin.
(Wont shift the drive)

Did anything happen?

Attached is a picture

Thanks Mike

Attachments

• merc.jpg
    merc.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 0

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: mercury Shift cable free spins

Mike, the shift shaft should only stick out a couple of inches. Yours is way out. I have never had one apart, so I cannot tell you how it attaches to the shift cam. You might see if you can work it back into place.

jrocksho

Seaman Apprentice

From what I understand, you can not reinstall shaft without taking lower unit apart. I have never done this, but I just changed my shift shaft seal and was warned do not pull shaft out or you will be taking unit apart to reinstall. sorry!

Jeff_G

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is a shift shaft bushing where the shaft comes out the gearcase. You need a special tool to remove it. Drain the gear oil, remove the bushing. There should be a grove on the shift shaft where a C clip goes right under the bushing. The C clip came off or broke. If you are lucky and have a lot of patience you may be able to aligh the shift cam and the shift shaft and slide it in. Then replace the bushing and you are good to go.
If you can remove the bearing carrier and take pressure off the prop shaft it will be easier. You won't need a total disassembly. I would replace the bushing with a new one and find the old C clip!