1984 Mercury 9.8 Impeller in still not pumping water

Carpentrator

Cadet
I Just got the ipeller in and the SOB still isnt pumping water. What could it be?

I took the old one out and there were no wings left on it at all. I blew air through the motor from the PEE hole. As I put the new impeller in the guys at the shop said that it should have to "worked in". Another guy says that it should spin freely. Not sure what the next step is. Please help.:confused:

Really Old Guy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1984 Mercury 9.8 Impeller in still not pumping water

Mine has a key, that must be installed. It should not spin 'free',
with out the shaft moving. Could you have missed it during the
reinstall?:)

Carpentrator

Cadet

AHH yes I coud see where a Key might have been. Ok Found they key where I had originally taken it off at. It must have fallen out and I did not see it? Any suggestions on how to get it into place?

Really Old Guy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You need to take it apart again. :eek:
There is a slot on the inside of the impeller, that matches
up. Use some vaseline to hold it together, when you put
back together.
Easy to miss this, the first time:)

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Impellers don't have break in periods nor do they spin freely. As said above, they are key'd to the drive shaft so they spin with it. They don't need a break but you can install one wrong by rotating the pump cover clockwise or the drive shaft counter clockwise when you're trying to get the cover to go over the impellor. If that happened you would get some water flow but your new impeller would probably fail quickly. The correct method is to lubricate the inside of the pump cover and while holding it straight, apply moderate down pressure while rotating the drive shaft in a clockwise direction.

Your method of checking for blockages is flawed. Your old impeller destroyed itself and there could be chunks at the thermostat, the popet valve or even stuck in the water tube that will not effect the flow of air when you blow into the tell tale tube.

Pull the lower unit off again, pull out the thermostat and the popet valve and blow air in from the water tube in the bottom of the mid section. If you can't get airflow then straighten out a coat hanger and see if you can't dislodge what ever it is thats blocking.

Do not remove that water tube, odds are you will never get the grommet back in correctly. If the blockage cannot be cleared you'll need to pull the powerhead. On a 9.9 you're looking at a day to pull it, clear it and put it back together. Count on around 2 weeks if you have to order gaskets, (and you should).

So the encouragement is that most of the time these blockages can be cleared.

Carpentrator

Cadet

Ok I will try the correct way. What do you recommend I use to lubricate the housing with? Will Vaseline work? also I just took it back apart and reinstalled it with the key that I had found. If the impeller failed is is messed up? should I get another one? . Man Im getting better at putting the lower unit on. However getting the "up tube" for the water line to stay in lace is a real booger. how do I get it on there mor snug?

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Ok I will try the correct way. What do you recommend I use to lubricate the housing with? Will Vaseline work? also I just took it back apart and reinstalled it with the key that I had found. If the impeller failed is is messed up? should I get another one? . Man Im getting better at putting the lower unit on. However getting the "up tube" for the water line to stay in lace is a real booger. how do I get it on there mor snug?
As long as the impeller bushing isn't damaged then you should be o.k. Vaseline is fine or you can use bearing grease. Just a thin, thin coat is all that's needed. On the fill tube, does yours have a connector tube like a short piece of rubber hose or hard plastic that comes off of the tube. If your's has this, this piece usually stays on the tube when you pull the L/U. If you have it, take it off the tube and put it one the pump outlet. This way when you shove the L/U in, the taper on the end of the connector tube will guide itself onto the water tube.

Really Old Guy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It gets easier wuth practice:redface:

Carpentrator

Cadet

I couldnt believe it!. I could not stand it last night I took the lower unit off for the 3rd time. I looke inside the impeller housing and low and behold - More chunks of old impeller-. This time I sort of goosed it before I took it off as the motor was running. Only for a second. while it was in gear. (I do not recommed this method and will not be using it again). In order for the impeller to turn the drive shaft must be spinning i.e. the prop. the intake for the water is not on the sides -so earmuffs could not be used- and the motor was sitting in a trash can full of water. So I am going back in with a peice of tie wire and cleaning out the copper tube, once more. Hopefully this takes care of the issue.

:redface:

Really Old Guy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

:eek:Good idea NOT running motor in a barrel or g/can.
The water gets all foam and not wet! Muffs are better or
boat ramp.
Hope it went better today!:)

Last edited: