can a bad water separator cause a 2005 mercury optimax xs to cut off

miamidonzi35

Recruit
can anybody help i have a 2000 donzi zf 35 with twin 05 merc 250 opti's xs motors i have never changed the water separators in 300 hrs yesturday they cut off on me and wont start....:(

cgine

Recruit
Re: can a bad water separator cause a 2005 mercury optimax xs to cut off

Function of water separator filter is to avoid water entry to engine...so, if it is full of water it must stop fuel flow...

Just unplug the filter and drain it...plug it again, prime the fuel system...and it should work again...

It's recommended to get a filter set onboard.

BR.

miamidonzi35

Recruit

Function of water separator filter is to avoid water entry to engine...so, if it is full of water it must stop fuel flow...

Just unplug the filter and drain it...plug it again, prime the fuel system...and it should work again...

It's recommended to get a filter set onboard.

BR.

ok i did that and one engine starts up no problem the other feels like it wants to start but wont the filters are set up on board there are some little hand pumps connected to them one has pressure one dosnet should i replace both filters and add an octaine bost i have a about 80 gallons in my main tank wich holds 250 gallons how much octaine boast should i add

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Octane boost is not needed nor will it help. A fuel treatment like SeaFoam is a better choice. Water appears to be the issue. Keep draining and priming until it starts. You might pull the plugs on the no-start engine. They may be fouled with water/fuel.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Octane boost is not needed nor will it help. A fuel treatment like SeaFoam is a better choice. Water appears to be the issue. Keep draining and priming until it starts. You might pull the plugs on the no-start engine. They may be fouled with water/fuel. When you get the engines running, add a fuel system treatment with every tank of fuel. You have a large tank and therefore it is subject to collection of large quantities of water. Fuel system treatments do a good job of protecting the fuel and the fuel system.

miamidonzi35

Recruit

Octane boost is not needed nor will it help. A fuel treatment like SeaFoam is a better choice. Water appears to be the issue. Keep draining and priming until it starts. You might pull the plugs on the no-start engine. They may be fouled with water/fuel. When you get the engines running, add a fuel system treatment with every tank of fuel. You have a large tank and therefore it is subject to collection of large quantities of water. Fuel system treatments do a good job of protecting the fuel and the fuel system.

so i should pull the spark plug wires off and check for water or moisture u say ?