1982 Mercury 115 6 cyl. spark plugs

becoyote

Seaman Apprentice
It is very, very hard to cold start. Nearly impossible without ether.

I checked the plugs and they are these odd non post champion L76V plugs.

What are the rec. plugs? Both the NGK and Champion web sites seem to rec. a standard type plug. Which plug and at what gap is recomended.

I just bought this boat (my first) and am trying to sort through the problems. It seems to have a newer battery. An optima with 750 cca. I am going to have it tested tomorrow.

I did order a manual but it isn't here yet.

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1982 Mercury 115 6 cyl. spark plugs

Hi,

The Champ L76V is the std plug or a NGK BUHW . Either will be just fine.
Check the choke system you have to hold the choke on to make it work. Are you using the fast idle lever on the remote control?

becoyote

Seaman Apprentice

where would the fast idle lever be? Where is the remote control?

becoyote

Seaman Apprentice

Okay so a quick search shows that for my single armed throttle, I put it in neutral and have the throttle opened?

It has a key choke also. I push it in a few times before starting?

emckelvy

Commander

As the previous poster said, the choke only works when you push the key in (or hold down the separate choke button on older models).

So, the starting drill would be, pump the primer bulb 'til it's hard. Raise the fast idle lever. With the control lever in Neutral, crank the engine over while activating the choke. With a cold motor, keep the choke on until the engine fires.

Once she starts up, release the choke and if the engine falters, turn the choke back on for a few seconds. Repeat until she runs smoothly without wanting more choke.

If I recall on your motor, it doesn't have choke flappers on the carbs but rather a priming system which squirts raw fuel directly into the engine for fast starts. But it still works in a similar manner as a "choke", you have to hold the key in or push the button.

If this doesn't help the starting drill, you may need to check whether you're getting power to your priming valve solenoid and that it's actually passing fuel when activated.

HTH..............ed

p.s. if you value your motor, don't use starting fluid on it. Most starting fluids contain no oil, so you're really putting a strain on your bearings, pistons, and cylinder walls when you use it. If I recall, there is a type of starting fluid used with diesels which has a shot of oil in it. I assume this would be relatively safe to use, but you certainly need to be careful with this highly explosive stuff in a marine environment!