How to hook up Oil Tank?

I recently purchased a 1991 Mariner 175. It has a remote oil tank. I'm installing it on my boat and was wondering what needed to be done with the oil lines. Do they need to have the air removed some how? It was disconected from the motor, and the hoses were left attached to the tank. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

j_martin

Admiral
Re: How to hook up Oil Tank?

I recently purchased a 1991 Mariner 175. It has a remote oil tank. I'm installing it on my boat and was wondering what needed to be done with the oil lines. Do they need to have the air removed some how? It was disconected from the motor, and the hoses were left attached to the tank. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hook it up. One line goes to a fitting, actually a check valve on the engine, low on the starboard side. The other goes to a T with a short piece of hose dangling from it on the starboard side which goes to the reserve tank on the motor. A little pressure from the engine crancase pressurizes the boat tank, forcing oil back up the other line.

Fill both tanks, leaving a bit of air space in the engine tank, then start the engine (with cooling water of course) and loosen the cap on the engine tank until it fills and a little oil spills out. That will also bleed any air out of the oil supply line. Then tighten it. Be careful not to overtighten the cap. They split easily and are very expensive.

Yer good to go.

John

gss036

Commander

Good answer John, I just want to 2nd the idea of not over tightening the cap. I have had a couple split over the years.

John,

Thanks for the great answer, that is just the info I was looking for.

Thanks again,
Scott.