1988 70hp Mercury Outboard spark plug wire

zgwile2

Recruit
I just replaced the ignition coil on my 1988 70hp Mercury outboard and I'm not confident I did the repair correctly. Getting the coil on and the two wires on the coil was no problem and I think that part was correct. When I pulled the old coil off I had to remove the spark plug wire out, but when I did this the wire pulled out leaving the gold plated contact cap still in the ignition coil. After about 15min I finally got the contact cap out of the coil, but I couldn't really understand how to reattach it to the spark plug wire again. What I concluded was that the contact cap press-fits onto the wire insulation and the wire sticks straight out not touching the contact cap. After I reassembled everything, I was getting spark to the spark plug, but I just wasn't confident I installed the wire in the coil correctly because I feel that the wire should actually touch something inside the coil. Does anyone have a picture of how the ignition coil end of the spark plug wire looks like, or has instructions on how to install the ignition coil side of the spark plug wire? Thanks!