50hp Mariner - Identification and Problems

111KAB

Cadet
Hi Everyone

This is my first post but please don't think I'm only using this forum for solving (hopefully!) a problem - I have been lurking around for ages. I am UK based but not getting a lot of help here plus the boat/engine are located in Spain (Mallorca) so there is a time delay (sometimes weeks) between receiving any information and acting on it.

The identification on my 2 stroke, 3 cylinder 50hp Mariner is the first problem. If I can solve this I can possibly obtain the appropriate manual which will hopefully help. Right the engine identification plate shows .... A104067. In the UK I have been told an A prefix is impossible so I have checked and checked .... it is definitely an A! :confused: Can anyone help with this please.

Turning now to the immediate problem.... after priming the engine starts ok however after running for 5 minutes or so the engine cuts out and the primer bulb requires priming again. After priming/choke the engine starts again however after another 5 minutes it cuts out. Having gone through this procedure 5 times only once did the engine get up to full power and the boat plane. Once back to Spain I will check the tank for dirt, the pipes for blockages and the primer bulb for splits etc then move onto the carbs although these were cleaned/engine serviced recently. One UK person has mentioned the possibility of a pump diapragm failure but without the appropriate handbook I wouldn't know how to go about sorting this.

Thanks all - great forum - even better if it can sort out my problems ;)