1982 Mercury 175 Steering Cable Question

daculatruck50

Recruit
I have a 1981 Norris craft bass boat with a 175 Mercury. I have had it sitting for about 4 years and i took the boat out and the steering was frozen. I have removed the frozen steering cables and need to order new ones. I have a dual steering cable system and i believe it is a rotary style system. The cables have 11ft 6in printed on them. I cannot find that size anywhere. Can i move to 12 ft or would 11ft be sufficient. I have looked for about a month and i cannot find any in that size they all seem to be in even foot measurements - 9,10,11,12 ft nothing in between.

Thank You,
Trent K

j_martin

Admiral
Re: 1982 Mercury 175 Steering Cable Question

I have a 1981 Norris craft bass boat with a 175 Mercury. I have had it sitting for about 4 years and i took the boat out and the steering was frozen. I have removed the frozen steering cables and need to order new ones. I have a dual steering cable system and i believe it is a rotary style system. The cables have 11ft 6in printed on them. I cannot find that size anywhere. Can i move to 12 ft or would 11ft be sufficient. I have looked for about a month and i cannot find any in that size they all seem to be in even foot measurements - 9,10,11,12 ft nothing in between.

Thank You,
Trent K

You can't stretch the cables, but you can bend them. If the present cables snaked all over, you might be able to take out 6 inches. If it's close, you may have to go up.

You may be able to salvage yer cables. Check out this thread.

http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188864

hope it helps
John