Mark 58A -- fix it or part it out? Questions, questions...

new2mercs

Seaman Apprentice
Not sure what the etiquette is here: I have lots of questions and seems like it might be better to put them all in one very long post instead of multiple ones. I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm breaking the rules... . :) I've been searching the forums and while I've found some answers and hints, haven't seen these questions addressed directly as yet.

I've just acquired what seems to be a '59 Mercury Mark 58A. Cosmetically it's in pretty good shape, and would look fabulous on my '59 Glastron Fireflite... way better than the '61 Evinrude that's on it now plus an additional 5hp. The trouble is that the 'Rude runs and the Merc doesn't. I'm afraid that I could end up spending big $$$ on parts to get the Merc running and I'm trying to decide whether it's worthwhile.

The ID plate on the transom bracket says Mark 58L, serial #1158394; haven't found a model/serial on the block though it does say "Super Thunderbolt." I guess this means it's a 58AL, though I didn't find either a 58L or 58AL designation at oldmercs.com... . Haven't measured the shaft, but it does seem two or three inches longer than my standard-length Evinrude. It is electric start and has a flywheel alternator and rectifier. Does this make it a 58AEL?

Anyhow, all the parts seem to be there. There is an empty mounting boss on the block below the fuel pump, but there don't seem to be any openings into the block: Was this casting used in some applications with dual fuel pumps? I found a Mark 58 powerhead pic online that also has this location empty.

Compression is around 95psi on #1 and 110psi on #2-3 which seems slightly suspicious, but I'm not too concerned yet because this motor was sitting for either 7 or 12 years depending on whose story I believe... lots of sticky parts and I wouldn't be shocked if that included the rings and reeds.

The installed magneto was a 4D-5; I found a parts list that makes it look as though it should be a 4D-1 or 4D-2. I suspect that the 4D-5 would work, but the magneto adapter seems to be incorrect: The ears on the actuator plate miss the carburetor throttle lever by 1/4 inch or so. Did the 4D-5 have a longer adapter body than the 4D-1/4D-2, or were there different lengths of adapter body? (Should have made a note of the number on the installed one; will do that this evening.) The mag pilot shaft was gummed up to the point that it wouldn't turn -- PO actually seems to have broken the timing belt pulling the starter rope. I've freed it up, but the bearings feel quite rough. one mounting ear is broken off the magneto cover, but the mag coil itself looks new and gave me a shock when I turned the shaft... . I've seen a couple of mags assemblies on eBay, but don't know what years/numbers will work. I assume that Fairbanks-Morse would work as well, and that it's a bolt-on given the correct pilot/adapter assembly?

The starter field coils appear to be fried, probably from someone cranking and cranking the thing with no throttle connection... . I see some new starters on the market that are claimed to be compatible with the installed Delco-Remy 1113569 (I think it was Mercury part #25942): they are Marine Electrical Supplies S2062M, and Sierra SIE-185601. Anyone know if one of those would work? The pictures look similar, though I don't seen mounting holes on them for the relay.

Additional electrical question: Is the flywheel alternator/rectifier for lighting only, or is it heavy enough for batter charging?

What is the two-prong electrical connector on the center-front of the lower cowl for? It was disconnected but looked like at least one side might route to the magneto.

I would also need controls and don't know what to look for: I think I've seen one- and two-lever controls, Quicksilver, "generation-2"... what would work with this motor? Is there a range of years? I assume I need two levers at the helm since there are two levers on the motor... ? Is there anything special about the steering? Will it work with my old cable-and-pulley system?

Oh, one final stupid question: How the heck do you work the tilt-lock on a Mercury? It sort of looks like it should unlock whenever it's shifted into neutral, which would be a cool idea, but it doesn't seem to work on this particular motor. I don't see any external control except for the flip-up bar that keeps it tilted for transport.

Thanks for any advice!

new2mercs

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Mark 58A -- fix it or part it out? Questions, questions...

Wups: compression should have said "95psi on #1 and 110psi on #2-4."

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

The Rude runs and the Merc doesn't. Hmmmmmmm there's your sign. Stay with the best. ;)

Bill kubiak

Chief Petty Officer

There is a website called AOMC, the Antique Outboard Motor Club, check it out.
I had a 1960 Merc 15 automatic a few years ago and got all kinds of advice, help and parts sources for those old motors.