1987 Mariner 9.9 shift linkage disconnect

sidescan

Recruit
I recently purchased this motor and a Seloc repair manual. I cannot disconnect the shift linkage to remove the lower unit in order to change the water pump impeller. I removed the three lower unit bolts and the lower unit drops about an inch but no more. I cannot see a bolt, clip or any other means to disconnect the linkage. Does anyone have information specific to this motor?

green4themoney

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1987 Mariner 9.9 shift linkage disconnect

the shift disconnect is on the exterior of the motor, look in front of the driveshaft housing and you will see a skinny silver rod (shift rod) and it has a clamp on it, you need to remove this clamp

sidescan

Recruit

Thanks for your prompt reply. The only clamp I see flips a lever type device. When I unscrewed it the only thing that happened is it slides loosely up and down the shaft but does not disconnect the shaft. Any other ideas?

green4themoney

Petty Officer 1st Class

here you go

Attachments

• Marine9.911.jpg
    Marine9.911.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 1

green4themoney

Petty Officer 1st Class

sorry the picture is small but if you look closely you can see the silver shaft and i circled the connecting clamp

green4themoney

Petty Officer 1st Class

sorry the picture is small but if you look closely you can see the silver shaft and i circled the connecting clamp

sidescan

Recruit

The mystery is solved. The motor in the picture is not the 1987 in question. Seloc's manual has struck out twice. They said the spark plug gap was .24 inches but the manual says .43.

The disconnect, courtesy of Sunset Marina's mechanic on Ten Mile creek in Millsboro PA, is located under the cowl where the shaft connects to the lever mechanism. You flip up a tang and pull it out which pulls the tang's shaft from a hole at the top of the linkage rod.

Thanks for the attempts though.