30 HP Mariner, Water Pump Kit installed but still no water?

osiris661

Cadet
Hello group, so I have spent most of my day removing and replacing my lower unit trying to get my water pump to work, aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I have followed my manual to a T, or atleast I think, and I still can't get water to pump. I replaced the entire kit, impeller, plate, gaskets, washers, tube guide. I don't know what else could be wrong except one thing, at the Marine Store I purchased the kit from I asked which lube I should use and the guy said any grease, I replied "like blue grease?" and he said yes, so maybe that is the problem? I only put a small amount on he bottom and top of the impeller so it would spin freely.

Can someone, anyone please tell me if that was my problem? Before I replaced the water kit my engine was not idling proper, only a little water coming out, now nothing at all.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions and have a great day everyone.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: 30 HP Mariner, Water Pump Kit installed but still no water?

Are you SURE that the little key is in place between the shaft and inside the impeller, locking the impeller to the shaft so that they turn TOGETHER?

It's real easy to drop the key down thru the lower pump housing and not notice that it is missing.

Use a small spot of grease to 'stick' the key in place then carefully slide the impeller down over it, try to turn the impeller to make double sure that it is firmly keyed into place on the shaft.

osiris661

Cadet

No actually I am not 100% certain of that. I do know that when I put the impeller on I was very careful to make sure it dropped right over the key where the slot on the impeller is. Now, I did not look to see if the key pushed into the lower unit but I know the impeller was turning with the shaft because rotating the shaft is how I adjusted the impeller blades when placing the water pump housing over the impeller.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Any doubt, check it out.

While you have the lower unit off, stick your garden hose onto the water transfer tube and see if you get water out the P hose and down the exhaust thru the open leg.

It's possible that mud daubers have built and clogged the P tube, if so a length of weed wacker string is often helpful to rod it open again.

osiris661

Cadet

I will drop the lower unit again tomorrow :eek:and make sure that key is in place;). I will certainly do the hose thing to test the line for blockage. Thanks for that:D, I was wondering what the best way to test it was.
The other gasket I removed and replaced was brittle and maybe pieces of that have become lodged in the line, we shall see and I will report back.

osiris661

Cadet

I dropped the lower unit and took apart the pump housing kit, key was exactly where it heened to be. Then I did the hose test and the water flowed out perfectly. Once again I started up my engine and no water came out.

So then, I put the lower unit back on and figured I would move on to something else, my throttle cable. My old one was severed and frayed so I replaced that throttle cable, or atleast one of them. In doing so I started to wonder why there are two of them (in case you can't tell I am a complete newbie at all this). I followed the second one and figured out that IT appears to connect the main throttle control. I started the engine again and manually moved that control for the second cable and the engine started to throttle just fine, AND the water began to pump out..... YAH!

So, I am now happy to see that I am not going crazy about my water pump replacement. However, now it appears I have an issue with my engine throttle. After seeing that the second cable is for some reason not working I removed the back of my control box to see what the second cable does and connects to. It apprears that it is connected to the throttle arm but when I move the throttle arm forward to the "forward" 45 degree position it does not move the lower cable, only the top one I just replaced. If I move the control box arm WAY forward to a 90 degree position, it then moves that second cable. Is there a way to maybe adjust or tighten that second cable so it moves in sync with the top one? Am I making any sense at all ? , thanks in advance for any help.

henrye718

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is one for throttle only without shifting in gear? My boat is like that so you can rev the engine without moving the boat...

You push a seperate mechanical button while pushing the trottle foward and wala it does not engage the gearing.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

I think you may have your cables reversed on the motor.

The first 45 degrees movement of the throttle lever is the Shift control, that cable connects to the shift linkage on the motor.

After the gearcase is securely locked into gear THEN the Throttle lever movement will begin to apply throttle.

Is there a FLAT lever sort of laying on the control box top rear that can be raised up to provide throttle without moving the Throttle/Shift Control? This will only move the throttle cable a small amount for starting/fast idle to warm up the motor..