2000 Mercury 135 hp will not transition up to speed/ stalls / bogs

decon66

Recruit
I have a 2000 Mercury 135 HP on a 2000 Sea Ray 180 BR. I am running the boat at 7800 ft. The boat starts and idles perfect. Trolling speed, no problem. Boat runs great from 2000 to WOT(5200rpms). Motor loads up around 1500 to 1800rpms. The only way I can get it to go past this, is to trim the motor way up(almost out of the water). Pushing in the choke doesn't help. 95% of the time the boat runs like this. Every once in a while it pulls hard and strong from the bottom all the way to the top. The boat has been to the local Mercury dealership every week for the past two months. The boat has been on the dyno, and the motor is strong. New plugs, new fuel filter, new fuel pump, Timming checked, carbs cleaned, air fuel mixture screws tried from 1 to 2 1/2 turns out, and jet sizes checked. I even had them replaced the carbs. Everything checks out perfect at the shop dyno. Elevation there is 4700 ft. If I take it up to 5500 ft it runs poor most of the time. At 2000 ft the boat ran great 95% of the time, but still stalls/ bogs out 5% of the time. The dealership is baffeled and doesn't know what is wrong, or what to do next??? Can you guys help me out??? Any and all info will be greatley apprecitaed!!!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2000 Mercury 135 hp will not transition up to speed/ stalls / bogs

Normally Mercury will have a list of carb jets indexed by elevation. Above 5000 ft requires new jets. If you have the proper jets in your carbs, perhaps there is some dirt or air leak in the carb or intake manifold.

A midrange problem in a carb is unusual.