1965 mercury Kiekhaefer 900 90hp low end install

stecha

Recruit
I bought a used boat with this motor on it. Serial 1808954. The power head was completely rebuilt. the low end was replaced all by the previous owner.
The only thing that had not been replaced was the impeller. So removed low end and replaced impeller. As I was beginning to reintall, the low end fell over and the reverse cams fell out. Also I cant seem to line up splines correctly to get shifter working properly. I have read every lowend reinstall on this forum. But I still am missing something. I am able to get it into nuetral on low end by turning spline with 11/32 socket. But cant seem to find neutral on upper motor.
Could some please help? Im 4 days into this and still no shifting, LOL.

steve

mercman65

Cadet
Re: 1965 mercury Kiekhaefer 900 90hp low end install

I own a 1965 Mercury 35hp. I need to replace the impeller also, but i have had no luck removing the lower unit. I remove all of the bolts keeping it in place and got it to drop about 3/4 of an inch. It will not budge any further and im unsure how to do it. Thank You

65Crosby

Cadet
Re: 1965 mercury Kiekhaefer 900 90hp low end install

I already did this to mine as well,(installed a new impeller).When you go to reinstall the bottom unit,turn the drive shaft clockwise and make sure you have it in foward gear and also place you remote lever in the same gear.it may take a few tries to get it just right, but it will go in.I also have a 1965 Merc900 90hp mercury outboard and the only problem I am having is when I put the boat in the water ;, it will run fine and go into each gear as expected ,but when I give it a full throttle,it doesn't act like it has any power as the boat will only go apprx.10 to 15 mph.any suggestions on what may cause this?