Mercury 50 hp bigfoot with idling / running issues

nvr-enuf

Seaman Apprentice
Mercury 4 stroke efi 60 hp, I believe the year is 2002 / 2003. Family engine 3m9xm.9952ge

I put the boat in and it seemed to run ok. Then the other weekend I had the boat loaded with people and it seemed like it did not have a lot of power. I brought the boat back to the dock and added some fuel injector cleaner, seemed to help, rpms came up higher (poonton boat). I did notice that the volt meter was barely above 12 volts so I think the voltage regulator is acting up. I changed plugs and a fuel filter (just changed the filter and bowl, not the upper half since I did not want to remove the hoses).

I have a battery charger to ensure the system is getting 12+ volts.
Motor will idle for 15 to 20 seconds then start getting rough and dies. Motor will not allow me to go above idle. If I try to go above idle, motor will die.

I did notice that the level of fuel in the filter is only 1/4" above the bottom of the filter. This may not be an issue since the fuel is pulled from the bottom.

It sounds fuel related.
I did add new fuel earlier this year.
Any help would be appreciated.

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Mercury 50 hp bigfoot with idling / running issues

As well as normal service issues, these motors have RPM reduction protocols in the event of a fault. I can help you with the type of fault and what it means but I need to know the exact year. Post a serial number please.

nvr-enuf

Seaman Apprentice

where would I find the serial number and how could I pull the fault code from the engine.

thanks for the reply

sas

nvr-enuf

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Mercury 60 hp bigfoot with idling / running issues

Re: Mercury 60 hp bigfoot with idling / running issues

Does anyone know how to pull codes from a 2002 / 2003 Mercury 60 hp big foot 4 stroke EFI outboard?

My issue seems to be fuel related, any thoughts on how to verify if the fuel pump is working properly?

Thanks
SAS

Dunaruna

Admiral

The id plate is external on the transom bracket.

You cannot pull the fault codes without a merc scanner.

The control box warning buzzer will tell you if a fault is logged via a series of beeps. Faults are permanently logged.

Your motor has 2 fuel pumps, a low pressure mechanical pump and a high pressure electric pump. The low pressure pump feeds the high pressure pump. You need to determine both fuel pressure readings.

These motors are not user friendly, a lot of experience is required for diagnosis and repair.

hvachillbilly

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i dont know that this will help but i have a 2003 60 hp efi and there was a recall on the voltage regulator might check on that

nvr-enuf

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the reply, if anyone knows the voltage regulator kit to buy for this motor, that would help.

What I found to be the idling / running issue (motor was dieing after 10 seconds of idle) was a bad rubber hose that is mounted on the fuel pump. The hose was really deteriorated (sp?) probably due to the ethanol crap gas in our area. The fix was really easy, simply remove the aluminum housing on the left side of the motor looking at it from the back, draining the fuel which down in the bottom was really crappy / gelly. Changed the rubber hose that connects to the fuel pump and reassemble. Boat fired up, ran great.

I still need to fix the voltage regulator, any help in where to buy and the part number would be appreciated.

Thanks

SAS