Mariner 60 Ignition switch

Firebladepully

Recruit
Hi,
I have a Mariner 60 ( 2 cylinder yamaha based) outboard. Its year is 1982/83 and starts with the 6F0 serial number. Anyway my problem is the ignition key switch, the keys have gone missing/mislaid
I have been to two local dealers ( Hartlepool and Middlesborough) to try and get a key sorted. Even with the actual key lock unit off and taken in they have being unable to sort/help as they could not see any key numbers etc.
I can obtain a new genuine key unit, but at nearly ?100 think its a bit steep. So other than ramming a screwdriver in, which i dont want to do i was thinking of putting an aftermarket key unit on, some of which are advertised on ebay.
The genuine one fitted at present is a simple off-on-start set up with a seperate choke switch.
From what i can see there is 5 wires that actually go into the back of the unit: Green, Black, White, Red, and Brown. there is also a pink that goes no where and is taped back to the harness.
Now out the the back of the unit comes a yellow, green and black ( i think these are for the gauges/ accessories) and the white and black to the kill switch. A second yellow also comes out to the choke switch to which a blue runs to this same switch from the main harness.
Right, without smashing the old unit to bits to see what wire went where, how would this be wired to a igniton key switch and just as important which switch would be suitable to do this?
Any help/advice is greatly appreciated

Regards,
Paul

Last edited: