175 Mariner Overheats, water pump is OK, good pressure, etc?

I have a 1992 Mariner 175hp EFI Magnum outboard. I recently replaced the #1 Piston, water pump, all filters, fuel lines, VRO Lines, etc. The motor idles like a dream, it has great response and seems to work great. However, the lake water is a little over 76 degrees and the heads are noticeably hot after running even for a short 30 min haul at low speeds. Last night, I took off the lower unit and hooked up a hose with the male end cut off. Water was flowing through the block great, in fact it was colder water so it was getting condensation. The telltale hole works fine (as it does even when its running). I inspected the water pump and it was fine.

I do have a question though... when I was running water with the hose directly into the water pump pipe (it was tight, not leaking), a considerable amount of water was coming straight back down. I'd say roughly 2/3 of the water going up came back down the water pump pipe/driveshaft side, the other 1/3 was coming out of exhaust side (ok maybe 2% was coming out of the peehole, but you get the point). Water pressure was fine, although my water pressure gauge at one time got water in it and the needle has spun all the way around and is not working.

Is it possible the seal at the engine block is cracked? That the copper pipe is somehow disconnected and not all the water flow is headed through the block, and it comes straight back down on top of the water pump and the drive shaft?

If this is the case, how hard is it to fix? It seems that all you do is remove the powerhead (if I had an engine hoist, that would make life easier!)... is there any fix from the bottom? Or am I missing something else?

Please help!

Thanks