2004 Mercury Opti Max 225 DFI Fuel Problems

hoo's next

Recruit
Hey Folks,
New to forum and have a question about my Opti Max 225 DFI motors. Just bought this boat about a month ago (1995 Regulator 26 w/twin 2004 Mercury 225 DFI'S), first time out in rough seas at about the 8 mile mark the starboard engine lost power and began to shake. Would throttle up to about 3500 then fall on face to max of 1900 rpm. Shut engine down came home, compression test OK, individual cylinder temps OK. This lead me to believe fuel issue. I replaced the Racor water seperator fuel filters, and added Star Tron fuel additive. Ran it today and ran like a scalded ape for about 45 minutes. Thought I had the problem fixed, and showered down on it one last time to head home and @ 3500 rmp the starboard motor fell flat on it's face w/1900 rpm max. Disgusted, I took it to the house and verified no blockage on the fuel pickup lines, verified that the tank vent was not plugged (removed cap and blew air into tank through vent, air came out of fill cap). I am running out of things to check. I thought about replacing the primer ball's but wouldn't think the problem would start after 45 minutes if they were the issue. I am at a loss, please help!!! Thanks in advance.................Eric

blazer81.6

Seaman
Re: 2004 Mercury Opti Max 225 DFI Fuel Problems

A Syphon valve on your bulb primer can make any outboard due strange things along with low voltage on battery. For the cost a syphon valve is a cheap place to start troubleshooting. You may hook an alternate fuel supply to your engine to eliminate any problems in tank screens and fuel lines. I'm sure the problem is simple however make take a few hours to troubleshoot. Good Luck!