83' 115 hp Mariner 6cyl. No power under load, SOLVED!!!

Mark Nagel

Cadet
Background:
OK, for a background for future searchers. I have a 83' Mariner that was stored for a few years. When I took it out of storage it started and idled fine, reved up with no load, but in the water under load it would almost die, not getting the boat past 5 mph.

What I did:
I drained and replaced the gas and fuel lines ($40).
Checked the spark plugs
Bought a service manual ($40)
Checked the compression
Rebuilt the Carbs ($70 kits)
Checked the Baffle plate and water jacket and replaced the gaskets ($25)
Replaced the stator and rectifier ($220)
Tested all the electronics I could
Still no luck

What fixed it
On my year and a few others, there is a idle stabilizer (mounted to the front plate in front of the carbs. It has 3 wires, ground, red/white and black/white. They hook into the lower switch box (Bias that connects the two switch boxes and the red from the stator). It advances the timing at idle when the motor loads up. Apparently it was scrapped due to issues and the motor doesn't need it to run, but if its faulty it wreaks havoc on your timing. The test is simple, disconnect it. If it solves the problem leave it disconnected. Its $170 and the dealer who would sell me the part told me not to waste my money, its not needed.

The boat runs like it did when it was new. The carbs and gaskets were cheap and probably needed anyway, but I wish I knew this simple test before I bought the stator and rectifier. I hope this helps someone in the future.

Mark

DazeOff

Recruit
Re: 83' 115 hp Mariner 6cyl. No power under load, SOLVED!!!

hmm i have a similar Problem. is this what you mean?
IMG_0985.jpgIMG_0986.jpg

i also cant rev past 2500 under load. cant get up on plane. im heading towards switch boxes due to an intermitant misfire on multi cyl. but i find this intresting.

veritek_dragger

Seaman Apprentice

Hello Mark, what a find! I have an 83 V150 with the exact problem, however it is intermittent. It usually doesnt act up until about 3-4 hours on the lake. I see this post is over 2 years old but are you still not having any issues? Any info would be great, also if you have any description of what the unit looks like so I can locate it and trace the wiring back to the switchbox. Any info would be great! Thanks in advance!

swamp-fox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

veritek

He must not have had anymore problems. Because he his last activity on the site was 2009.