correct break in procedure mercury 25hp two stroke?

fluidjuice

Seaman
I have just bought a second hand 25hp 2006 mercury two stroke from a dealer who said that it has not been used for more than an hour!
He's told me to run it in on double oil that is 50-1, as normal would be 100-1.
He said not to hit wot untill a full 5 gallon tank had been used ,at no more than 3000rpm, ok ,ive done that now and its taken about 2hrs running time.

Could somebody please post the correct FULL mercury break in procedure as i know that this is critical to install a good life into this engine.The engine came with no manuel etc.

Thanks in advance Fluidjuice

Last edited:

bboy57

Cadet
Re: correct break in procedure mercury 25hp two stroke?

The most important thing on ANY engine is not to run it at the same speed/RPM for prolonged amount of time (more than 10min) for the first 10-20 hours. It does not matter if you run it WOT after the first 3 hours, but not for as above. Yes run it with extra oil at first just to get it lubed and rings seated good.

bboy57

Cadet

Oh, and ask him for a computer printout from your engine verifiing 1 hour! I boat a supposed NEW boat, that had 25 hours on it!

James P

Seaman Apprentice

Are you sure the break in is double the oil making it 50:1. Generally break in is 25:1 and normal is 50:1.

fluidjuice

Seaman

Yep normal running is 100-1.
Ive also just opened her up to wot and noticed she only goes upto 4800rpm's???? any ideas.