Mercury 1150 Water Temp and Pressure Gauge

Chevy863

Recruit
I was thinking of buying a water pressure and a water temp gauge for my 1978 Mercury 1150 115hp outboard. Does anybody think this is a wise investment? If so can they both be installed together? Thanks.

tskm2001

Cadet
Re: Mercury 1150 Water Temp and Pressure Gauge

A water pressure gauge is always a good idea. You can see quickly if you have a loss of pressure or see a noticable loss over time that may signal time to replace your water pump impeller. You should be replacing it every year anyway or at least every two season.
The problem with a temp gauge is, that by the time you read hot your already toast and the engine damage is probably done.
If you keep up with preventative maintenance like impeller, fuel pump rebuild, fuel filter replacement and fuel stabilizer in the gas, you will eliminate a lot of worries. Remember that the tell-tale stream out the back of motor only means it is pumping water, not the volume of water being pumped. You can overheat and blow up a motor that is pumping a great stream of water out the tell tale hole.
If you have ethanol in your fuel install a water separating fuel filter. I put a Sierra filter on my boat just as a precaution.