Starter for Mariner 28E

ndfan

Recruit
I have a Mariner 28E 664L 57203 9 I am trying to find the year of this motor,and also an electric starter or someone who can rebuild it. Starter is a Hitachi S108-54. The solenoid will click and try to engage the flywheel and stop.It will pull start fine. I thought the battery was bad changed it but I still just get the clicking sound. Any advise would be helpful. Thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Starter for Mariner 28E

Howdy, fan. There is probably nothing wrong with your starter. Three out of five starters that get changed aren't broke. It is corrosion in the high current circuit that denies the starter enough amps to do the job, though they will still supply enough amps to do everything else on your boat.

Take the battery to engine cables off (both ends) and clean them and the connection terminals thoroughly. Then inspect them for weak or corroded spots before you reinstall.

Let us know what you find., and good luck. :)

ndfan

Recruit

I pulled the starter off, found some corrosion on the terminals and a bare wire, cleaned that up and put some tape on the exposed wire put it all back together checked the fuse,pulled the charger off the battery and all I get is the same clicking sound of the starter trying to engage. any other ideas? can this starter be tested at an auto parts store like a normal car starter? Anyone know who or where I could send this starter to be fixed. My local marine repair shops don't want to take the time to look at it. Thanks

JB

Not the starter, ndfan. The wires that go from the battery to the engine block (-) and the solenoid (+). Both ends.

ndfan

Recruit

cleaned and checked all the wires,ground on the motor, positive on the solenoid and the terminals on the battery also still no luck.I forgot to mention the starter and solenoid come apart together. anything else to try? I'm ready to adjust it with a big hammer. :mad:

JB

Go to the Top Secret file (top) or the Engine FAQs Forum. Do the starter circuit troubleshooting voltage drop tests in "Outboard won't start". Let us know.