Mercury 115 Serial Number

SpikeJ

Cadet
I have a Mercury 115 6 cylinder motor on my Checkmate. I have look at several website and tried to locate a serial number on the motor. Their is no "tag or plate" with anything resembeling a serial number. By cross checking different parts, fuel pump, carberators etc. I have been able to zero in on mid to late 80's. Is their any other way of accurately identifing my motor? Have a bad stator it seems but replacement selection varies according to the year. It has an open circuit on the blue wire.

jimg984

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mercury 115 Serial Number

look on the engine mounting bracket on the inside of the boat, will be near the hinge section of bracket and engine

SpikeJ

Cadet

Thanks for the quick response. Their are two parts that share that "bracket designation" one being the Swivel Bracket that rotates on a pin for the tilt up and down and the Transom Mounting Bracket that obviously mounts to the transom. This may seem dumb but I have scoured these two parts with no luck. Which of these brackets has the Serial number and where specifically on the bracket? Again I have looked carefully but I don't see it. Thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

There might be a part number on the crankcase, starboard side. You can look it up at the crowleymarine.com website.

jimg984

Chief Petty Officer

on my 1978 115 it is above the swizzle joint, also above a grease fitting in this erea, yours may missing for some reason (do you think its HOT J/K)
GL

SpikeJ

Cadet

I don't think so. I hope not!! In NJ and Boat Registered fine.