how do you replace the trim switch on throttle

mb162

Recruit
Does anyone know how to replace the tilt/trim switch on the throttle for a 1998 75hp Mercury outboard. The current switch will lower the motor but not raise it. The switch on the motor moves the engine up and down. The throttle handle on where the switch is located doesn't have any screws to remove. Is this a difficult repair?

crappiejig

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: how do you replace the trim switch on throttle

Likely not too difficult,I changed mine out on my commander 2000,although it required removal from the boat. First determine your remote part number,click on this link at dougrussell.com to get in the ballpark.All the merc remotes are here,and parts diagrams alone should let you figure it out.
http://www.dougrussell.com/partscat...,1,2,3,29,7,24,22,23,4,6,8,25,36,39,40,5,27,0

HONKER1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just went through this with my '01 Mercury 115hp. It ended up it wasn't the switch, but a bullet connector that was corroded in the back of boat. I used small cheap voltage tester and checked for current in the Pur/wht wire. The Pur/wht wire had power when I pushed the up button on the controller, but when I tested Lt/blue wire, I had no current. These wires plug into each other. (Don't ask me why). When I took the connector apart, I had a oxides corrosion that the current wasn't passing through. I cleaned the connector, and now everything works great.
What I am saiding is, it may not be the switch. So before you start tearing into the controller, check for power in your trim up wire going to your motor when you push the up button.

mb162

Recruit

Thanks for the tip. Where exactly is this connector? Is it in the top of the trim motor or some place else?

Last edited:

HONKER1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a Commander 2000 Side Mount Remote Control unit up front. The wires from the controller go to the transom area of the boat. At this point, the 3-wires, encased in one larger wire, from the power trim relays are connected to the Commander 2000 wires. There are also several bullet connector on the power up wire at this point. One of these connector was oxided and no current was passing through.
Follow the wire into your boat motors power trim relay and you will find the connectors inside your transom area. My problem was at the (K) connection.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 1